Lead Acid Battery charger unit

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
Hello,

I have a batter charger which is used to charge scooter batteries.
Input: 120vac - 240vac
current 4.5A

Output: 48vdc, the maximum is 56vdc
Charger current 5A, 240W

What is the posible ways to test this unit inside the house and to make sure it works before installing outside station for charging? Do we need any load or additional power supply to test this charger? please show me the steps how to do it?

Thanks in advanced.

Ken

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
4 12 volt batteries would be the ideal test.

OR build a resistor load bank $$$$$$

Use ohms law to get the resistance value you need. You will want to test it at about 90% of full output rating. If your resistance bank is rated for less than 300 watts you will only be able to use the load for short periods(a few seconds)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The resistor idea may not work; some chargers won't charge batteries if they are below a certain threshold.

You need to make certain that the charger does not exceed the maximum recommended charge rate of the batteries. Look up the datasheet for the specific batteries installed in your scooter(s).

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
I agreed with SgtWookie. I tried to load resistors according to specs., but it did not show the state of charges, just the voltage vs. current and power. Is there any way to decrease the voltage below threshole to verify the LEDs status of charge?

Thanks

Ken

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You said you needed to TEST the charger.

NOW you need to know if the state of charge of the battery jives with the LED display?

What exactly do you need dude?

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
Yes, I need to test the Battery Charger.
In the front panel of Batt. Charger, there are 4 LEDs that indicate the charging status of 4 batteries. I can use 4 batteries to test this charger, but I have to discharge all 4 batteries everytime I test the charger to see how 4 LEDs show the charging status, and this way will take long time to test every charger unit if I have to test 100 charger units. My question is there any way to setup a test equipment to test the charger and verify 4 LEDs working correctly without using 4 batteries?
Thanks