LCD TV Fell off the wall

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
My mom's 22" LCD TV fell off the wall at the Nursing Home.
I've replaced it (and the new one has a more secure wall mount), but now I am trying to repair the damaged one.

The screen is not cracked, or scratched, but only 2/3 of the picture appears normal.

The other 1/3 of the screen has one vertical panel blacked out, and another vertical panel grayed out.

I've taken it completely apart, and cannot spot any damage.

What would cause the vertical panels in that 1/3 of the screen to black out or gray out?

Thanks,
Gary

DMahalko

Joined Oct 5, 2008
There are usually flimsy orange or green flat ribbon cables all along two or more edges of the LCD. There can be hundreds of wires on these ribbon cables, attached to the glass LCD with a conductive adhesive.

If there's a single data cable from the other TV electronics to the back of the LCD with say 20 connections on the cable, there will be chips that fan out from that connector to these many ribbons all around the edge of the screen.

I don't know if it is possible to remove and reseat these ribbons attached directly to the glass panel without destroying the panel connections.

Alignment of the ribbon to the LCD is crucial, within half a millimeter or so, and there may not be any visible alignment guides for in-the-field reseating of these adhesive connections.