LCD to monitor output of power supply

Bobstein

Joined Apr 24, 2013
I have a kit to build a bench ac/dc variable power supply. It needs to have a display to monitor output. Would I need to get a programmable LCD display for that application?

I am very new to building electronics kits etc.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You can get the displays for about $10. Short time, somebody will pop up with a part number. What country are you in?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
No, you can buy a panel meter for about $10.
The meters just need a voltage divider resistor added to adjust them to a range of
0 to 0.2 volts;
0 to 2 volts;
0 to 20 volts; or
0 to 200 volts.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Search "DIGITAL PANEL METER" on EBay and you'll find many inexpensive and good looking units from China.

Stuff from China takes 2-3 weeks to get to me here in NY USA using the default free shipping. Even custom PCB's got to me in 23 days from order to my door.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Search "DIGITAL PANEL METER" on EBay and you'll find many inexpensive and good looking units from China.

Stuff from China takes 2-3 weeks to get to me here in NY USA using the default free shipping. Even custom PCB's got to me in 23 days from order to my door.
I was going to suggest the same thing in my post, order from China. I do it all the time. I was just put off by the whole "china" idea this afternoon, however. I made a homemade pizza and my son asked if DUTCHMAN brand mushrooms were from Pennsylvania (yes, I use canned mushrooms on my pizza). In any case, I flipped the can over to see where "America's favorite mushrooms (TM)" were canned. I was a little disturbed to find they were "Made in China".

I will likely order parts direct from china after I am able to repress this current thought.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Instead of a panel meter, I'd probably just hack one of those Centech meters you can sometimes get for free at Harbor Freight.

I don't feel too bad about using chinese stuff if they're giving it away. Keep it coming, I say. ;)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Instead of a panel meter, I'd probably just hack one of those Centech meters you can sometimes get for free at Harbor Freight.
That is brilliant, I haven't seen those before.

For under $6 with test leads and all the ranges and functions - much better than a panel meter unless you are tight on space.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I did that. Be careful with the display and its connector. Difficult to get re-assembled correctly. Missing segments.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Instead of a panel meter, I'd probably just hack one of those Centech meters you can sometimes get for free at Harbor Freight. ;)
I just got one to leave at my wife's office when I work there just so I'd have something. I paid a whole $2 for it new on sale.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ha ha, yes I "plant" them all around too. One upstairs, one in the car, one on the workbench, one on the pegboard when one of the other ones breaks (none have yet), and so on. I don't think I've even had to replace a battery in one yet.