LCD Display Inquiry

Newhaven displays uses a SPLC730D driver from memory... the font is fix with a preset number of characters and some chinese characters. You can select double the height but that is it for the fix table font.

However there are some blank space in the DDRAM location that will allow you to design and put in your own characters or logo etc.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yeah you get about 8 custom characters, all the rest are fixed.

You would have to go to a graphic display to get custom fonts, but then you're drawing thins pixel by pixel.

Draco Carathyr

Joined Dec 12, 2012
so if I were to use a graphic display how would I get the Mando'a font

to work with a small key pad with the english equivalent A-Z 0-9 , ; : . ? ! ' " ( )

I maybe asking the impossible.

(this is for a costume by the way)

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Its not impossible... A 122x32 graphical display and your own character map and you'll be good to go.... You can't do this with a bog standard 16x2 alphanumeric...

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
well, by impossible I mean that I'm new to electronics.

so if any one can post a list of required materials and how to make a character map, besides the key pad (i have one already - its a dell axim 5 palm pad external keboard)

the font download is at: http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/mandalorian.htm
I'm not entirely sure what you want....

You want this for a palm pad or you want to make a new system?

Draco Carathyr

Joined Dec 12, 2012
well it's not exactly Palm brand, it's Dell, but it looks like it. the key pad has a connector that plugs in to the bottom of the device. I was wanting to use the key pad to be able to type in that font. if at all with a graphic display.

the dell device doesn't work. the battery does not hold a charge any more.

Draco Carathyr

Joined Dec 12, 2012
the key pad is basically a foldable key board that attaches to the Palm.

i would just like a screen that scrolls every time i press a key

could it be easier to use a usb number pad