lcd 4bit mode asm custom character

hby01

Joined Mar 20, 2014
Hi guys. I'm relatively new to mplab and i am working on a project using assembly language which at some point requires me to display a custom charactor that i created on the 16x2 lcd in 4 bit mode exclusively. Now i know that i need to first set the cg ram address and then load the combination of bits to the cg ram but I cant figure out a way to do so. And i tried searching the web for any refernces but all were written in c. So please guys i really someone to give me an example or a sample code where we display a custom character after creating it on lcd.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
LCD datasheet tells what needs to be done to load custom character. It may or many not have step by step instructions.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
i tried searching the web for any refernces but all were written in c.
I would suggest learing to read code written in C.

Reading code is far easier then writing it, and you get all the steps you need to accomplish your task.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I would suggest learing to read code written in C.

Reading code is far easier then writing it, and you get all the steps you need to accomplish your task.
So true, but it still will help much. If your teacher say you must write the program in assembler:rolleyes:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
THe C code examples will tell you what you need to do. You send a command to set CG ram, you send the 8 bytes to load the character into CG ram. Then display is the same as any other characters, user CG ram are 8 locations addressed 0-7.
:)