LCD 16x4 bus

looper

Joined Jan 27, 2013
Hello boys,

I am planning to build one system with some 16x2 lcd displays managed by a central unit as an arduino or raspberry but I have not clear which components to use, trying to get as cheap as possible.

I thought about using bus RS-485 but I suppose I will need one board between display and the bus, right?

Which components could I use?

Regards

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Hello boys,
I'd like to think there are some girls here too. But probably not many.

You didn't say whether you expect to buy a product to do this project, or if you're willing to make something. If you're going to build a device, you can do it with a single 74595 (I'd use the 74HC595) per LCD display. You can wire them all up in series, and then you'd just need 3 control lines to operate the entire setup. You mention RS-485 and maybe that's necessary, but it would depend on how widely separated your system is, and what the electrical environment is like.

looper

Joined Jan 27, 2013
It is for a all shop scenario, so you can get 2m-3m between each lcd and the master unit.

I need to build the sistem from scratch, lcd, master unit, communication, enclosures...

My electronic knowledge is low, so I prefer interconnect modules instead to build a new one.

Regards

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'd like to think there are some girls here too. But probably not many.

Actually, I would think that most people around here are men and women. Not sure of the ops intent but the term "boy" is considered an insult by a significant segment of Americans. One of a sensitive nature.

Last edited: