Latching switch problem

Dx7brian

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hello there,
I am looking for some help, I found this circuit diagram online and need to find out what some parts are and what else is needed to get this diagram touse for my project.

Question 1: What is Q4 ?

Question 2: VP is short for voltage power, correct? And that's where I connect my +12 power ( I have a 12v power supply which I plan on using )

Question 3: I want to use this latching circuit per side and choose the side with a toggle monetary switch on-off-on, what and where do I need to add to this diagram to make it work?

Info: I'm building this little Led light project, it consists of 2 different color led bulbs. I plan on using 2 of these circuits, 1 for each side/color led. I want to use 1 momentary toggle switch on-off-on, to switch between colors.
I also want to each led to cancel only when I switch to the other led or when I toggle back in the original direction which turned on the led.

Thank you for all your help as there are some almost similar questions, but nothing that I can or know how to use with my project.
Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Question 1: What is Q4 ?
It is a P-channel enhancement mode power MOSFET.

Question 2: VP is short for voltage power, correct? And that's where I connect my +12 power ( I have a 12v power supply which I plan on using )
"VP" is really not very standard. They meant to say +V or V+ or Vcc or Vdd; all of which represent a positive voltage source.

Question 3: I want to use this latching circuit per side and choose the side with a toggle momentary switch on-off-on; what and where do I need to add to this diagram to make it work?

Info: I'm building this little Led light project, it consists of 2 different color led bulbs. I plan on using 2 of these circuits, 1 for each side/color led. I want to use 1 momentary toggle switch on-off-on, to switch between colors.
I also want to each led to cancel only when I switch to the other led or when I toggle back in the original direction which turned on the led.
Ahh, OK.

This would really be more easily handled by using a simple D-type Flip-Flop used as a set-reset flip flop. It would eliminate most of the parts required.

It sounds like you want to do something like illuminate LEDs to indicate the position of train switch points, using the existing control switch.
Am I close?

[eta]
No, the train switch points isn't correct.

More like turn signals for a motorcycle?

Last edited:

Dx7brian

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Thank you very much for your help

Just want to be sure, you said " it would eliminate most " So does that mean, all I will be needing will be the "flip flop", switch, and LED's in order to get turn sig.....cough cough. I mean my small home electrical led project complete? Or is there a little more to it?
I am not good in creating electrical diagrams, but I am ok at physically building projects following diagrams and creating housings for them.

Thank you once again

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
<sigh> I do not know what this project is, but if it is automotive related please refrain. If it is not then never mind, but it will usually come out in the end.

Dx7brian

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Yes this originally was for an automotive use, but was told I could not continue asking for info from this site.
Understood.
We decided to go a totally different route with turn signals as what, at once seemed like a simple task developed into a almost impossible task.
But, I can not let it go. It is not for turn signals anymore but for a led light project. Something inside me can't accept that something like this can't be done. It can, and it will. I am going to continue this project of mine from start to finish not for turn signals but as a project that I need to complete in order to feel content inside.
So no this is not for automotive use, it's for me gaining knowledge in understanding and controling electricity
I know this sounds firm, but I just want to get my point across clearly, as I mean no harm or to be disrespectful.
Thank you for your time and thank you very much for controlling and watching out for all the users on this site : )

Dx7brian

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Ya!
Finally got a chance to go to my favorite electronics store, and was able to get all the parts needed to build the 555 bistable multivibrator.
Gonna try to build it tonight.
Thanks for the help

Dx7brian

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Ok so I built the 556 bistable multi vibrator last night.
Worked great...thanks
But..
I still have some questions but it
Is there any way I can use a momentary toggle to switch between the two LEDs, (one toggle per led to control it's own function)
Or
If I were to use two 555 bistable multivibrators is there a way to connect a relay to cut power from one side when the other is in use. Or something similar
And
One last question which I think is a yes, but will ask. It says in the diagram, it says it can handle up to 15v which is good for me, but can it handle 2-3 amp load
Thanks for all your help