Latching relay

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well if the set or retaining coil is pulsed and the armature picks up and immediately drops out that points to two things, either the reset coil has power or the P.M. field is either very weak or missing?
Acting like an ordinary relay.
Max.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
The normal sequence is first pulse the main coil 2 & 10 to latch it in? 1&4 and 9&11 should be closed at this point.
It should then remain latched until the reset coil pulse.
It sound as though for some reason you are initially pulsing it with the reset coil, as I read your post?
Max.
The relay should be bistable. It shouldn't matter which input you pulse first. If you pulse one and then the other, the relay should change state either on the second pulse, or the first AND second pulse, depending on the initial state of the armature.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yeah I realize it does not matter as long as one is aware of the state, but in this case I thought the OP expected to see a result by first resetting it when in the off condition.
Either way IF the relay is being operated correctly then is sounds like something may be defective?
Max.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Yeah I realize it does not matter as long as one is aware of the state, but in this case I thought the OP expected to see a result by first resetting it when in the off condition.
Either way IF the relay is being operated correctly then is sounds like something may be defective?
Max.
Yeah, I'm wondering how both of them could have slipped past quality control.
I would go back to the 12v supply and retest.

@jls667: Which pins are you connecting to when you pulse the coils? What polarities?

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
You wanted to know the pins. The set coil is pin 2 and pin 10. Pin 2 is the negative side. The reset coil is pin 3 and pin 6. Pin 3 is the negative side.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The polarity was listed right on the relay. Since people on this site seem to agree there is a problem with my latching relays, I called Zoro Tools. The retailer will replace them.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
In my last post I returned my two latching relays to Zoro Tools for replacement. One of the replacement relays works as expected. I feel vindicated that the two relays were broken. The problem I have now is that the other replacement relay is bad. Here I go again getting other one. What do people know about Magnecraft relays? To have three out of four come bad is not encouraging.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Magnecraft have been around quite a while, I though they would have been a quality product?
The only latching relays I have used are P&B, never had a problem?
Max.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The latching mechanism should fit into two prongs at the top. The mechanism must have slipped out in the shipping process. It was that simple.

amsgh

Joined Apr 9, 2018
I know this is an old thread but do you have a model number for one of those relays? I'm having trouble finding the right one.

I'm looking for a 24VAC coil that is DPDT.

Pulse once to close then pulse again to open contact.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I know this is an old thread but do you have a model number for one of those relays? I'm having trouble finding the right one.

I'm looking for a 24VAC coil that is DPDT.

Pulse once to close then pulse again to open contact.
I'm not sure you will find one with a AC coil.
They use opposite polarity DC to latch/unlatch
Max.