Laser range finder help!

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Hey
I want to make some sort of circuit that will send an infrared, or normal red laser out and bounce back to a receiver to tell me the distance.

If you cant tell me an answer dont worry, if you know any other military like or gun related circuits could you please share them with me.

Thks Chris

kurf

Joined Jun 15, 2009
Do some research on "Time of Flight", the most common method used with laser range finders.

Using a laser might be a little more complicated then you wish to take on. I would use the ultrasonic range finder here: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8502

If you really need more precision then what this will give you then I would recommend trying a red LED and a transimpedance amp, a.k.a. current to voltage amp, as your receiver. The red LED should give you enough spectrum selectivity to receive the bounce of the laser. Put the LED in revered bias towards the inverting pin of the amplifier. Doing this will give you wider bandwidth and lower noise. This circuit is very sensitive to contaminates, and long leads on your components will also be a problem. I would use only surface mount parts and keep things tight. Good luck, I may try this one along with you. Sounds fun.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
As far a TOF goes, I seem to recall that for radar (also electromagnetic radiation), it's about a mile per microsecond. You will need a very accurate timebase.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Interesting! If scientists were able to make them very accurate, they could send it on a sattelite and produce an computer generated image of the land structure on a planet from a sattelite without jeapordizing astronauts. Just a thought...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Google FatMax by Stanley Tool. Yes, the same company that makes hammers and rulers.

I have the TLM100. It is laser-based TOF with +/- 1/4 inch at 100 ft. Brand new, $50 on ebay. More expensive models claim as little as 1/16" at 600 ft (TLM300). It works and has a red laser dot for aiming (I believe the measuring laser is IR). Thus, you know what you are measuring, unlike with ultrasound. For example, you can measure the distance to a door knob, but not the door.

John

kurf

Joined Jun 15, 2009
Google FatMax by Stanley Tool. Yes, the same company that makes hammers and rulers.

I have the TLM100. It is laser-based TOF with +/- 1/4 inch at 100 ft. Brand new, $50 on ebay. More expensive models claim as little as 1/16" at 600 ft (TLM300). It works and has a red laser dot for aiming (I believe the measuring laser is IR). Thus, you know what you are measuring, unlike with ultrasound. For example, you can measure the distance to a door knob, but not the door.

John
That's no fun. What will we learn? It's always disappointing to me that so many great ideas are already taken. Happens often to young engineers like me. :(

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The measuring principle is the same as for radar. You're measuring time of flight of a pulse of electromagnetic radiation. Do some research and see if your skills are developed enough (we can't possibly evaluate them).

Modern land surveying equipment also use light. Some information plus operating principles should be locatable.