Laser pointer switch

AdamPrulhiere

Joined Nov 12, 2009
I have a project where I need to make a switch that is activated with a laser pointer. I have a general idea on the schematic and design, but I am not sure what to use for the detection of the laser. Does anybody know a good component to use for this? I am looking for a component and its data sheet so i can design the opamp interface and get the initial design turned in. Thanks!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Is the use of an opamp a requirement?

Since this is a homework assignment, it really belongs in the Homework forum.

However, a comparator is really what you need.

A CdS light-sensitive resistor might provide what you need in the way of light sensing. It's slow to respond, but adequate with human movements.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
A photodiode also can also work.

You may want to consider some type of reflector too. You didn't say how far away the user will be, but it might be hard to hit a small spot on the wall across a room. Some reflective Mylar in a cone shape might help.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I have a project where I need to make a switch that is activated with a laser pointer. I have a general idea on the schematic and design, but I am not sure what to use for the detection of the laser. Does anybody know a good component to use for this? I am looking for a component and its data sheet so i can design the opamp interface and get the initial design turned in. Thanks!
Can you confirm whether this is a homework assignment?

hgmjr

AdamPrulhiere

Joined Nov 12, 2009
yes the opamp is required. I know that it would be real easy to do with a comparator but i need to include either an opamp interface or a 555 timer somewhere in it.