Laptop wont turn on

Ghost hunter

Joined Mar 30, 2014
HI,
i have hp dv6 3230 us laptop. My laptop charge cord broke and i had to solder it to repair. I didnot realize that i had soldered with wrong polarity. Now the laptop does not turn on with other genuine power adapter either. But they work on other hp laptops. The indicator light next to power jack doesn't light. I took apart motherboard to see any physical damage, but i did not see any kind of physical damages. Does anyone know what are the possible components that get damaged. There is power coming from power jack and it is fine.
i have a multimeter, soldering iron to work with.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
HI,
i have hp dv6 3230 us laptop. My laptop charge cord broke and i had to solder it to repair. I didnot realize that i had soldered with wrong polarity. Now the laptop does not turn on with other genuine power adapter either. But they work on other hp laptops. The indicator light next to power jack doesn't light. I took apart motherboard to see any physical damage, but i did not see any kind of physical damages. Does anyone know what are the possible components that get damaged. There is power coming from power jack and it is fine.
i have a multimeter, soldering iron to work with.
Often a diode protects the circuit much in the same way as a fuse. If the battery polarity is reversed the diode blows. This diode is located at the power supply. If you want to do it yourself use a soldering iron to pull up one leg of the diode then test for continuity.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This might help.

It's rare that you can find a genuine schematic, but sometimes you can find something close enough to give you an idea how the power supply works.