Laptop PS has voltage but fails under load

cpqfe29

Joined Jan 30, 2010
A new co-worker was about to replace a system board in a laptop when it would not power on. He checked the voltage from the brick and it was at 19.5 volts (as it should be). I told him to remove extras (battery, drives, etc). He brought it to my area so I can show him how to take apart a clip and the laptop worked. Went to his desk and nothing.

It appears that the brick was no longer suppling the needed voltage or amperage when under a load. I've seen it before, but not very common.

MY question:

I would like to build some simple load testers. I searched the forum and have an idea of what to do and have seen some interesting projects.

Adapters: 19.5v 65watt and 19.5v 90watt ratings are what I use most.

Just to use the 19.5v 90 watt adapter as the main example what are some choices?

19.5v / 90 watts / = 4.61538 amp / = 4.222 ohms.

Simple power resistors? what values do you suggest to be safe?

More elaborate setup to cover a range (65 - 120 watts)? Pots, meter hookups?

This would not be constant but just a quick and dirty tester to check for operation when in the field.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Light bulbs are a lot cheaper than power resistors, and they give visual feedback. I think with a little experimentation, you could find the right bulb to give an easy check for a working versus non-working brick.

But, don't some bricks require data communication with the laptop?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Best one yet by tracecom. 100 watt limit means you should restrict your test time to only a few seconds.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A 24 volt car headlight? I didn't know there were 24 volt cars.

I learn something almost every day on this site.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ha ha, I learned it only minutes earlier myself. I was thinking two 12v bulbs in series but figured, why not first see what google can find at 24V. Voila. I was amazed it even goes to 100W. :D

cpqfe29

Joined Jan 30, 2010
Light bulbs are a lot cheaper than power resistors, and they give visual feedback. I think with a little experimentation, you could find the right bulb to give an easy check for a working versus non-working brick.

But, don't some bricks require data communication with the laptop?
You are correct sir. Some 'smart' power adapter plugs have three wires. Although the jack looks like a standard two wire plug. There is the outer shell (usually ground), inside shell (usually Voltage), and the center pin - (usually has the same voltage) if tested with a meter will be for communication(controls/limit power I believe based on need). Not all may be the same.

I believe that you can put a small resistor between the last two pins if you had to use a non-smart adapter (or fixed voltage source) for a temporary fix.

cpqfe29

Joined Jan 30, 2010
I will try some of these suggestions.

I do have a fix, I just ordered a few extra supplies, but where is the fun and learning in that. :D

I am keeping the bad supply to compare it with one of the new ones against some of these suggestions.

After I order some parts I will post my findings.