Laptop Asus x550c the keyboard and touch pad are not working

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys;My Brother-in laws Laptop Asus x550c the keyboard and touch pad are not working
if i connect an external keyboard and pad with USB i can use the pad or a mouse but the Keyboard doesn't work,it maybe outdated or no drivers but the issue PC boots and i get stuck at log in which i can't type cause keyboard doesn't work ,so do you guys know a way of getting it going?,thanks in advance

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
That is odd. My laptop also has a failing keyboard.

I am now typing on a USB keyboard on my laptop without any problems. I also use another USB keyboard, again with no problems.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. What OS is the Asus running?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Issue 1.
Original keyboard and pad not working.
Assuming this is not a software issue (could be with pad, I think).
Two things come to mind:
1. Something got spilled on them and they are fried.
2. Someone tried to get at the guts of the machine, disconnected the ribbon cable and then failed to connect the ribbon cable.

Now. As someone who has disconnected keyboard ribbon cable on laptop before, I can tell that putting it back is a pain in the a$$. However, it can be done. I have done it on my iBook G3 and my Acer Aspire One.

Issue 2.
External keyboard not working.
Since external pad is working, I have to arrive to conclusion that external keyboard is broken.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Thanks guys; keyboard works on command prompt,i could get in command prompt with admin password and typed command lines, also i tried reset pc and it tells me missing recovery partition

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys new update on Laptop Asus x551c the keyboard and touch pad are not working, i just tried Xubuntu 16.04, i did not install it just tried it and keyboard and mouse pad work great,so i know that it's win 8 drivers issue,do you guys know a cheap way of getting a Cd with software that i can repair the recovery system? thanks

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Hi guys new update on Laptop Asus x551c the keyboard and touch pad are not working, i just tried Xubuntu 16.04, i did not install it just tried it and keyboard and mouse pad work great,so i know that it's win 8 drivers issue,do you guys know a cheap way of getting a Cd with software that i can repair the recovery system? thanks
In my limited experience the recovery system is normally a hidden partition. Often enough when someone upgrades OS/reinstall OS/plays with Linux, they would delete the hidden partition because they want or need that space. I have done that a couple of times because I have the OS cd/dvd and decided that I would rather have that space for my use instead of having it sit there and do nothing until some emergency which I would fix by reinstalling the OS from the cd/dvd that I already own.

You could contact Asus and see if they allow you to download the recovery image and then use it from large-ish usb stick or memory card.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
In my limited experience the recovery system is normally a hidden partition. Often enough when someone upgrades OS/reinstall OS/plays with Linux, they would delete the hidden partition because they want or need that space. I have done that a couple of times because I have the OS cd/dvd and decided that I would rather have that space for my use instead of having it sit there and do nothing until some emergency which I would fix by reinstalling the OS from the cd/dvd that I already own.

You could contact Asus and see if they allow you to download the recovery image and then use it from large-ish usb stick or memory card.

Thanks shteii01; the problem is ASUS wont offer nothing *ZERO* Software for this Modle,tried Asus Europe and nothing also,i wonder why people Buy from ASUS,i know i wont. I'm going to try to download an Win 8 ISO and see if it recognize the product key that is hidden in the bios.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys: new update on Asus x551c,after much grief with this Laptop i've finely got it running like new.
i 've downloaded Microsoft download tool and made a Win8 ISO and burned it to a DVD and went to see if i could repair system,repair/refresh/restore but never could never do it due to existing corrupted files in the existing OPS,but after trying all means on the Repair,restore,i gave up and went with full install way which was a success,thanks for all your support.