lappy freezes every 4 seconds!!!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All!

My brother netbook toshiba NB 255 freezes every 4 seconds for like 2 seconds continuously...very annoying!!

Any help or suggestion?

Thanks!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That often happens when it's getting too hot. Try cleaning out the crud from the CPU fan. Use canned air--DON'T use a vacuum cleaner! Static electricity builds up on vacuum cleaners, and it can jump to sensitive components.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Don't let the fan motor free spin either.

Canned air or vacuum cleaner, if the fan spins too fast the counter EMF in the motor will burn out the solid state circuitry in the motor. Use a tooth pick or similar to hold the motor stationary. Failure to do this will result in a ruined fan, guaranteed.

In either case static electricity can build up, moving air is an ESD generator. If you are worried about it ground yourself and the laptop as best you can.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Don't let the fan motor free spin either.

Canned air or vacuum cleaner, if the fan spins too fast the counter EMF in the motor will burn out the solid state circuitry in the motor. Use a tooth pick or similar to hold the motor stationary. Failure to do this will result in a ruined fan, guaranteed.

In either case static electricity can build up, moving air is an ESD generator. If you are worried about it ground yourself and the laptop as best you can.
Thanks for that!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
In once case, a friend of mine repaired a laptop with a similar problem. The culprit was a (very) dead battery. After removing it and powering straight from the plug, all was back to normal.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
sounds like heat is the most likly cause to me. clean it out if you can as they said. else it could be hevy disk or ram use by a program. make sure your page file is big enogh and ram is adiquite for the os and all programs. normaly the recomended page file size is 1.5 X the amount of ram in the system. for example 1 GB of ram in a system that system would have a 1.5 GB page file.