Laplace transform

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
It looks like you are trying to find the Laplace transform of a function g(t) equal to another function f(t) divided by time: i.e. L{g(t)}=L{f(t)/t}.

Since you know the Laplace transform of f(t), you are using the known integration property; which is, division by time, in the time domain, corresponds to integration over s, in the s-domain.

The only thing is that the final answer does not look right to me. Did you mean: arctan(s/B) instead of arctan(B/s)? I only looked very quickly, so perhaps I'm wrong.

ihaveaquestion

Joined May 1, 2009
steveb, I'm pretty sure that's the answer (I found it in another laplace table online also).

notxjack, no I'm not familiar with complex analysis... only how to do normal complex number algebra stuff.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
steveb, I'm pretty sure that's the answer (I found it in another laplace table online also).
Ah ok, I think I see why it is correct. So which part is not making sense to you? Is the method you showed your own work and are you just trying to get to the final answer?

Using an integration table for the last step, I get the following.

pi/2-arctan(s/B)

however there is a trig identity which shows this to be equal to

arctan(B/s)

Is this the confusion you are having? If not, please explain what the issue is.

gregcoll

Joined Oct 11, 2009
See if you can follow this, it seems more difficult than it is:
1. take a B from the denominator and you will have 1/B*int[1/(1+(S/B)^2)*dS]
2. make the substitution-> S/B = tan (x), then dS = B*sec^2(x)*dx
3. using the identity -> 1+tan^2 = sec^2, you should get simply 1*int[1*dx] (don't worry about the limits for now, always change back to your original variables when doing this to avoid missing any stray solutions!)
4. the answer to this integral is simply -> x
5. now, since S/B = tan (x) -> x = arctan(S/B)
6. THIS is evaluated at the original limits of s to positive infinity which gives the previously given solution of pi/2 - arctan(S/B)m\, or -> arctan(B/S)
NOTE: (arctan(infinity) must mean that the denominator of the tangent function has a value of zero and since tangent is sin/cos, the arc with cos=0 is at pi/2 and -pi/2 ergo arctan(infinity) is at the arclength of pi/2)
7. use the fact that if a = arctan(x) then x = tan(a) and sin(-x) = -sin(x) and cos(-x) = cos(x) (and maybe some other identities) if you want to show the proof of the solution
8. end

gregcoll

Joined Oct 11, 2009
sorry, after looking over the steps I meant to say: take out a B^2 from the denominator. (and I don't know what that 'm\' is in step six

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
sorry, after looking over the steps I meant to say: take out a B^2 from the denominator. (and I don't know what that 'm\' is in step six
Hi gregcoll,

In case you were wondering what's going on with this thread, ihaveaquestion was asking for the Laplace Transform of the function, f(t)=sin(Bt)/t. The method for setting up the LT shown in the original working by the OP was incorrect and the integration shown there was not a requirement for a correct solution.

Rgds,

t_n_k

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
The method for setting up the LT shown in the original working by the OP was incorrect and the integration shown there was not a requirement for a correct solution.
t_n_k,

Why do you say that the method for setting up the LT was incorrect? Are you sure about that? His method does lead to the correct answer, as I mentioned above.

I do agree that the integration shown is not a requirement, but it seems to be a valid approach.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
t_n_k,

Why do you say that the method for setting up the LT was incorrect? Are you sure about that? His method does lead to the correct answer, as I mentioned above.

I do agree that the integration shown is not a requirement, but it seems to be a valid approach.
Yes - you are absolutely correct. One of my not-uncommon brain "farts" I'm afraid.

Apologies to all - "ihaveaquestion" especially.

Rgds,

t_n_k

gregcoll

Joined Oct 11, 2009
You are exactly correct, a complex integration using the residue method is more thorough but unnecessary in this case as you know it will lead to the same result. I did not include these methods as it seemed that ihaveaquestion might not be familiar and it is better (I think) to not scare people, especially scientists and engineers, from math and this method might seem more familiar. Sorry for any ambiguity.