Lab parts

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I'm just about out of parts from my college stock and need to buy some more lab stock. Have any of you guys ordered parts on fleabay for general lab stock? It looks like a lot of it comes from China... Some of it looks like low-quality crap, some of it looks like it's okay... I've found these for resistors/caps... before I drop $40 on these... anyone have any advise?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281187196766?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251249050635?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Does it really take a month to get this stuff?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It usually takes several weeks to a month.

I would not (have not) ordered a E24 set of resistors. 24 values for each decade will leave a lot of unused resistors.

I would order from a company like Taydaelectronics.com. Resistors are a penny each and order in multiples of 10. Then I would order 50 of the E6 series

and 20 of the alternate values to make sets of E12

Somehow Tayda gets them to you in a week or less.

Storing, finding and sorting through all of the E12 series becomes a pain. So many boxes, bags or trays.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If you order from EBay patients must have you, 2-3 weeks at best, but the stuff is quite inexpensive and the quality is fine.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The resistors look like 145 values and 10 of each value?

Overall value $21 for 1450 resistors is ok, but the problem I see is that common values that you will use a lot (10k, 4k7, 2k2, 470,330,220 etc) will be gone in a couple of weeks.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I don't know about these, but a lot of the 1/4 watt resistors that I get from China have leads that are noticeably smaller in diameter than what I like. I measured them once, but I don't remember the numbers. That being said, I have stopped buying resistors from Jameco for the same reason; some of theirs are just as flimsy. I have standardized on Yageo resistors from Digi-Key.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I don't know about these, but a lot of the 1/4 watt resistors that I get from China have leads that are noticeably smaller in diameter than what I like. I measured them once, but I don't remember the numbers. That being said, I have stopped buying resistors from Jameco for the same reason; some of theirs are just as flimsy. I have standardized on Yageo resistors from Digi-Key.
Fully agreed .....
I have bought the kits before and the leads are really thin and are a pain to use on a breadboard because the leads are so thin..Next time will be placing an order through mouser for resistors

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
My old buddy used to go to flea markets and buy resistors. He bought a whole bunch of 1/4W resistors with the usual color bands to show value.

We built a bunch of demo boards and when we sprayed them with flux spray to strip the flux off, all the color bands disappeared!:p

All the resistors were brown and unmarked.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
We built a bunch of demo boards and when we sprayed them with flux spray to strip the flux off, all the color bands disappeared!

All the resistors were brown and unmarked.

That's even better than putting house numbers on parts! Only problem is that even the house may not know what they are:mad:

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Thanks for the input guys certainly things to think about... pay a penny each or order them from newark/mouser/etc for 3x to 4x the price... hrmm...

The description about the thin leads was very helpful - sounds like I'm not ordering off of ebay. Sounds like Taydaelectronics.com has the same problem based on the only review of their resistors. I certainly don't want thin leads and prefer spec'd parts.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have ordered items from Futurlec before but not those, but they appear to be the traditional wire size for 1/4w.
Drop them an email to confirm it.
Max.

AllVol

Joined Nov 22, 2005
I just received an order from Futurlec that included the resistor pack. It contained values as listed in the link in tracecom's post. Good wire leads, also. I hate trying to use those flimsy leads on a breadboard, but they're okay when cut and soldered.