L298 parallel connection

catalinstefanos

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Hello guys. I would like to connect two L298 in parallel to drive a stepper motor which needs 2.2 Amps.
Is it good the schematic i posted? I want to use 1N5822 diodes. Should i also use some ceramic capacitors? Thanks.schema1.png

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
L298 chips are out dated chips for stepper driving. A dedicated stepper driver chip is a better option.

A dedicated driver chip will have a built in PWM to control the current to the motor which is important. Stepper motors are very tolerable to voltage( should actually be ran at 10 - 20 times the name plate voltage of motor) But very intolerable to over current.

A dedicated driver will also generate the step sequence for the motor including micro stepping. Micro stepping makes the motor operate much smoother.

catalinstefanos

Joined Jun 2, 2010
L298 chips are out dated chips for stepper driving. A dedicated stepper driver chip is a better option.

A dedicated driver chip will have a built in PWM to control the current to the motor which is important. Stepper motors are very tolerable to voltage( should actually be ran at 10 - 20 times the name plate voltage of motor) But very intolerable to over current.

A dedicated driver will also generate the step sequence for the motor including micro stepping. Micro stepping makes the motor operate much smoother.
And a name for dedicated driver chip please? L298 is very easy to implement. Someone suggested L6208 but its very ambigous how to interface it with a microcontroller. I want a simple solution. Thanks