L298 heating problem.

temuri

Joined Aug 25, 2013
Hi everyone,
i am making a line follower + ball potter and got stuck in the initial phase.
I need a little help with l298. Below i have posted the schematic i followed. The problem is when both enable pins are given high logic the IC heats up excessively even with a heat sink. Moreover, the motors only run when i lift the car from behind and at the floor they just give jerk, i have to push it from behind to make it go forward.
I tested it directly on the battery, it works fine so i confirmed that my car is not over weighted.
Battery = 2.5A, 12V.
Motors = RS 545.

Attachments

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
See the datasheet-the table in figure 6, page 6, in particular...

Edit: you are probably also overloading your battery. See the stall current listed here

Last edited:

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
If you connect the motors directly to the battery, does it work? (does it move forward without pushing it?)

Are you using motors with gears, or are the wheels connected directly to the motor shaft? (yes, this is a trick question)

temuri

Joined Aug 25, 2013
If you connect the motors directly to the battery, does it work? (does it move forward without pushing it?)

Are you using motors with gears, or are the wheels connected directly to the motor shaft? (yes, this is a trick question)
Yes the motors work perfectly fine when i connect them directly to battery.
I connected them directly with wheels.

temuri

Joined Aug 25, 2013
A friend suggested me to use a transistor between the motor supply and o/p pins so it would reduce the current load on IC but i dont know how to do it and what transistor family would suit the requirement?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
so i have to use a 4A battery?
You have to use a battery that is capable of supplying the rated stall current for your motors.

I'm curious, where are you getting your battery data, because it is not generally given as you have?

So your friend is suggesting a driver for your driver?:confused:

temuri

Joined Aug 25, 2013
You have to use a battery that is capable of supplying the rated stall current for your motors.

I'm curious, where are you getting your battery data, because it is not generally given as you have?

So your friend is suggesting a driver for your driver?:confused:

the battery is made up of 3 CGR18650CA batteries connected in series so to be exact it gives 10.8V at 2.2A.
what if i use 1 IC for one motor?
is there any way to treat the stalling issue? i dont to want to keep it pushing all around the arena.. :/

Attachments

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Besides sizing the battery to handle the stall current, you might use one L298 for each motor. The two channels on the IC can be paralleled to increase max current to 4 amps. This gives a nice safety margin.

See page 7, Figure 7:
View attachment L298.pdf

Last edited:

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
I attached a schematic on how I connected the L298N to a microcontroller.

You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Dpe1v6G-w

The EN_A and EN_B goes to a PWM signal to the micro, where I select the speed of the motors.

For direction, for example if I want to turn on motor 2, then I set IN3 to high to go forward (depending on how you connect the wires on the motor), and I turn OFF IN3, and enable IN4 to go in reverse.

You just have to remember NEVER to set IN3 AND IN4 high at the same time. So make sure you set IN3 low first and then set IN4 to high, and vice versa.

I think this is what is happening in your case, that explains why the motor does not get a lot of power, because you are setting both inputs on high, but it should be only one at any time.

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You need more motor gearing, that will shift the run speed much higher in the motor powerband where it is more efficient and will draw much less current.

temuri

Joined Aug 25, 2013
I think this is what is happening in your case, that explains why the motor does not get a lot of power, because you are setting both inputs on high, but it should be only one at any time.
i fixed the inputs, that is I3 is high and I4 is low and vice versa for the other bridge so that the car will go only forward and i can steer it through pwm. But like i stated it doesnt moves forward on the ground i have to push it from behind.