L297 External Frequency to SYNC pin

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
Hello

I'm trying to input a frequency into the SYNC(1) pin of the L297 ic, the datasheet only mentions sync from other L297 but the idea is to use a 555timer from a complete isolated source!

the schematic attached is only for explaining better, do not comment the optocoupler please, it's tested and it deals perfectly with high frequency!

Has anyone done this before , use a 555 timer connected to SYNC pin ?

thks

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Did you ground the OSC pin #16 on the L297 when doing this? This is from (http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/1334.pdf) page 4/11;
"Ground noise problems in multiple configurations
can be avoided by synchronizing the chopper oscillators.
This is done by connecting all the SYNC
pins together, mounting the oscillator RC network
on one device only and grounding the OSC pin on​
all other devices"

The way your using the L297 is not the usual way. Is there a reason for doing it the way your trying? The Chip still needs the a frequency signal on pin #18 to make the motor turn.

The SYNC pin and OSC pin only control the 'chopper' circuit that sets the amperage out-put.

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
I think that's worth mentioning that I have working boards with the L297, with one providing the sync for the other 4, but I'm trying to improve them!

Yes the OSC pin(16) is grounded, as specified in the data sheet!

As I mentioned the schematic is only for explaining better.

The CLOCK pin(18) is working very well, connected to an hex inverter(74hct04), connected to opto(6n137.

The objective is to isolate the frequency source, and also control it beter with the 555, also avoiding ground loop

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The objective is to isolate the frequency source, and also control it beter with the 555, also avoiding ground loop
The frequency from the SYNC pin is generated internally in the L297, you would have to figure a way to disable the whole chopper circuit to add an external one. Can't really see an advantage to doing that. Plus it would mean adding more components to the circuit.

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
maybe my english is not so good, let me try to make the question in another way:

is it possible to inject a frequency from 20khz to 40khz using a 555 into the SYNC pin of the L297?
would it work the same way that the R/C that connects the OSC pin?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It would work, but there is NO advantage. You would need a 555 circuit to feed EACH of the L297's.

They(manufactures of the L297) went to a lot of trouble to include the chopper circuit in the chip. The SYNC pin(stands for synchronize) is there to allow ALL of the linked chips to work under the same conditions. It also allows only ONE set of components to be needed on the master chip to control all of the slaved chips connected to the master.

The OSC(oscillator)pin is basically a internal 555 chip. By setting the frequency on that pin you are controlling the chopper circuit(Amperage control to the motor windings). If you want to operate your chopper circuit at 20 - 40 kHz just use component values to generate that frequency there.

Have you read the data sheet for the L297? http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/1334.pdf The workings of the chip are on page 4/11. The pin functions are on pages 3/11 and 4/11. A drawing of how the chips are synchronized is on page 8/11, figure 3.

If this doesn't help I still don't understand why you want to operate the chips the way you want.

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
Thank you for your reply!

I was thinking of one 555 for all the boards, since the opto chip is the one providing the frequency.

I think I have a ground loop effect on the boards making some noise in the steppers(change the RC values on OSC pin from 20khz..40khz did not work), since each board has it's own 5v and it's own 44v, the only wire that was common was the sync, each board works perfectly, but all boards working, with sync( or not) make the noise, the idea was to eliminate the common ground!

Anyway, thank you for your reply!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
This is from the last paragraph on page 4/11 of the link I posted-
"Ground noise problems in multiple configurations
can be avoided by synchronizing the chopper oscillators.
This is done by connecting all the SYNC
pins together, mounting the oscillator RC network
on one device only and grounding the OSC pin on​
all other devices."

The only other frequency you need is the one into pin #18 - this HAS to be a square wave. Each time the square wave rises the motor move one step.

What is causing you to think that you have a "ground Loop" ? This is not a normal thing for some thing like this.

I know you didn't want comments on your opto schematic, but, if thats how you actually wired it ,not to good. Maybe post your whole schematic?

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
I believe that's because of my bad English.
I've 5 boards, I was trying to use the SYNC(1) output pin from one, and connect it to the other 4 boards SYNC(1) pin with the OSC pin(16) grounded.

When connected this way, there was noise that I want to eliminate.

Right now, they work better with each board using different R and C values, making a different frequency for each board and not using the sync pin, sync should be better, in my case it just isn't, please take a look at the board in the other post :) and sorry for my English