Knight Rider self-made

galih_cyber

Joined Mar 20, 2012
i have made circuit for my knight rider light.... but, i got a problem, i used 555 ic and 4017 decoder ic. i had 2 sachems.

actually, i want to use the 1st one but, if i use it, the current from output 0 in 4017 go back to output 5, and it has 4V voltage and also happen in other outputs, is that danger for my 4017 ic?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hate to say this, but that is not a Night Rider pattern. No problems. I did discuss other patterns in my article and how to generate them.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I thought it would be easier to find a video of the classic Kitt doing that kind of pattern. I found the new Kitt doing something similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZDY2tdTlSQ
I seem to remember the old Kitt did it when parked and was talking to the Hoff.

On a side note, the transistors in post #1 are connected with the load at the emitter without a base resistor. Are there any disadvantages to that apart from a slight warming (at this low current level) of the transistors?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Markd77, as shown , base resistors have little or no benefit; in the case where the base drive voltage is greater than the collector voltage, then a resistor is usefull.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It's the fading effect that counts.

Actually in the kitt the lights are not LEDs when I think of it. They are filament bulbs. The red diffuser gives the color. The slow decay of the filaments gives the fading effect u know.

So with LED's it's rather challenging job to fade it to leave the trail.