Kids got wheels!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
A number of years ago I built a go cart for my niece but now that she outgrew it I redid it a bit to work better for my daughter.

It's made mostly of old 2" x 2" signposts, and old riding lawn mower transaxle, a Craftsman Eager 1 push mower engine and some junk I had around the shop.

Heres Grandpa, Mom, and Daughter out cruising the hay fields at 2 MPH!

DCP02652.JPG

Finally by myself here. Time to get down to some serious driving.

DCP02656.jpg

Grandpa! That cat just cut me off. Are these the right fingers to use?

DCP02657.jpg

I've had my car for less than a day now and everyone and their mouse think they can bum rides off me.

DCP02658.jpg

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I'll bet both daughter and granddaughter have many wonderful memories of sheer joy. Well done! And thanks for sharing.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well apparently I need to clarify. I'm not even 40 yet. :p

That's my daughter and her mom and moms dad (daughters grandpa) on her gocart. ;)

And no mom was not thrilled when I rolled down from the shop with it last night around 8:00. Last night she drove it for about 45 minutes and mom walked beside her the whole time with a white knuckled grip on the back of the seat. :p

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Go carts were always a blast.

One summer while I was laid off, I made, repaired, and modified go cart axles, sprockets, other parts; to make some extra money.

I knew most of the guys who raced, and went to a few races with them.
Those Sidewinders, were some fast ass carts.

Congrats while making memories!:cool:

For the record, one of the greatest cart racers....was a little girl.

I guess 11 years old.

Her Dad had made her a custom helmet, uniform, huge trailer, and her own customized everything.:eek: They were on a cart circuit, during the warm months every year.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Nice to look at the lay of the land, too. It tells me why the scale of your mind is different from mine. Big places like that require a different way of thinking. You don't turn the fertilizer under with a spade, you just go get a tractor.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
A number of years ago I built a go cart for my niece but now that she outgrew it I redid it a bit to work better for my daughter.

It's made mostly of old 2" x 2" signposts, and old riding lawn mower transaxle, a Craftsman Eager 1 push mower engine and some junk I had around the shop.
That is one cherry plan for a go-cart!!! I have an old transaxle snagged out of a tractor, and the end result will be a fun little buggy that won't go all that fast...
Thanks for the idea tcmtech

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Nice!

I love my go-kart's. I've built one before but it was only 5 hp. I'm tempted to build another one but electric this time. I've seen a few on Youtube, they look quite rapid to be fair.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That is one cherry plan for a go-cart!!! I have an old transaxle snagged out of a tractor, and the end result will be a fun little buggy that won't go all that fast...
Thanks for the idea tcmtech
That's the nice part about the riding mower transaxles. Just change the original grease out for a mix of new synthetic grease and gear oil that will circulate better and you can run them at much higher speeds and power levels with damage just by changing the engine to transaxle pulley ratios for a faster set.

With the extra gears you can have a safe low speed for little kids but have a good top end in high gear for the more experienced people.

I actually designed this gocart with a simple cover plate over the transaxle so that I can pop the stock drive pulley off and put a smaller one and a shorter belt on it in a few minutes to change the top end speed as needed!