Kicad symbol for 7 segment

ep.hobbyiest

Joined Aug 26, 2014
Hi,
i am using Kicad for first time. Attach is the 7 segment i want to use.

I didn't find any symbol related to that.
I searched all the symbol. Please mention the symbol name for the above one.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have only seen 7 segment displays shown as 7 LED symbols, often in a dashed-line box, with pin numbers outside the box and segment letter designations inside the box. Occasionally they are shown in actual position, better for circuit understanding but worse for circuit construction.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I have only seen 7 segment displays shown as 7 LED symbols, often in a dashed-line box, with pin numbers outside the box and segment letter designations inside the box. Occasionally they are shown in actual position, better for circuit understanding but worse for circuit construction.
I would like the symbols in the simulation as below, and the 4 digits is the same with 6 digits.

7Seg One Four and Six LEDs Display_ScottWang.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am not at all familiar with KiCad, and thus the simulations are a mystery to me.If that program allows creating functional blocks then you have a chance of creating the symbols that you seek. But the difference is that a simulation program does not bother with symbols that possess no electrical properties. Simulator programs are for investigating what is happening with voltages and currents. In addition, the circuit surrounding a digital seven segment display is probably more complex than the simulator can handle. You could simulate the driver for a single segment LED and learn all that you needed that way.
Or are you trying to do logic simulations? That is a totally different realm.
If you are able to describe what you are wanting to achieve it is more likely that somebody reading will be able to provide a useful answer. While there are many excellent minds visiting this site, very few are good mind readers, thus the need to provide more information.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What ver of Kicad are you using? The schematic Component is in there under 7SEG.
Kicad uses the term Component for a schematic part and MODule for a PCT footprint/outline.
There are literally rafts of modules, including 3rd party versions out there.
But that is also a very simple part to make up yourself if need be, this is an excellent Utube tutorial on doing just that.

Also In here:
https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/wiki/Footprint-Libraries
Max.

Last edited:

ep.hobbyiest

Joined Aug 26, 2014
Thanks for the reply.
Kicad version is 5.0.0
I searched for 7 segment in kicad and found as well but i am looking for the symbol which has footprint like following attached.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So are you looking for a schematic component or a Module/PCT footprint?
If the latter, it is quick to whip up one as per the video.
I went back to 4.2.7 until ver 5.0 is a little more stable.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They are totally different files, one is an outline, the other based on physical dimensions.
The schematic outline can be any shape you want with no physical resemblance to the board module.o_O
Both are easy to create with the respective editors.
Max.

ep.hobbyiest

Joined Aug 26, 2014
Thanks. Finally i selected one the 7 segment and assigned footprint to to 7 segment symbol. Here is footprint for while assignment for 7 segment.
layout7segment.JPG
and 3d view for this footprint.
3dPrint.JPG

and following footprint present in layout file
actualLayoutAppeared.JPG

Please help me to assign proper footprint to symbol.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The bottom one appears to be a SMT style, So is neither OK for your project?
If not just edit it and either use that same label or assign another.
Max.