Kicad or LTSpice?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
I am in need of some circuit schematic design software. I want something that will also do simulations, and have PCB design.

I will be doing both digital and analog design. So far I have thought I would download either Kicad or LTSpice.

I just wanted to ask everyone here what the differences between the two are, and what they would recommend for someone who has never used design software before? I want something I can learn quickly and easily.

Also, I wanted Multisim until I found the price was 2 Grand....Is there anywhere you can buy an older version of Multisim or something similiar for a better price?

Thanks in advance.

Operating system is windows XP

Last edited:

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Well, have you tried Eagle? If you're a student it's free... if not, you can evaluate it and then pay for it.

Unfortunately gEDA does not target Windows support as one of its goals.

Lately I've used Kicad for schematic and layout. I've found it about as user friendly as Eagle, which is not so much. I don't think it has simulation capability. I'd be interested to know about doing that. I guess I could export a netlist to simulate in LTSpice. When I need to simulate something, I use LTSpice and draw the subsection of the circuit that I want to simulate.

I'd use gEDA but I'm still a Windows user unfortunately. It may be worth it to set up a dedicated Linux system just to use gEDA.

I have used PCB Artist for schematic capture and PCB layout. It seems more user-friendly in terms of interface, but it's proprietary -- you have to use Advanced Circuits for the first order on any board in order to get the Gerber files, and for every rev of the board after that. While Advanced Circuits is a good company with reasonable prices, I still don't like to be locked into a particular board fab company.

Here is an interesting comparison of free EDA software.

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Thanks everyone for the help and information.

I looked at Kicad and LtSpice, and I ended up just forking out the money for multisim's student edition...After reading what it has to offer I think it will definately suit my needs! There's a big price difference between the student edition and the professional edition!!!