Kicad - How to easily copy values from F.Fab to F.silk

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Hi,

I would like to have values printed on the silkscreen. Is there any way how I can easily or automaticly copy values from F.Fab to F.Silks?

thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This question answers it as of August 2018: https://forum.kicad.info/t/change-layer-of-multiple-selected-items-in-footprint-editor/12184
Apparently, that is not easily done.

However, in other programs, I find that positioning labels in the silk screen layer usually needs to be changed and space is limited. Suppose you want, R23/2.7k. That might take too much room. It would be extremely rare to need to reposition something associated with the package without changing the device's position too.

Also, adding values to the silk screen layer values might create confusion should you decide during testing to change a value but not the name.

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
As far i know you must edit labels one- by-one. If i want reference for component values i generate a BOM list and import it to Excel table. You get BOM list in csv format in Pcbnew editor under File->Fabrication outputs->BOM file...

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
I edited preferences on each value and defined the layer to be SilkS.

I understand the posibility of confusion if a value is changed later on. But I think I would make a note on the board if so.

tetsuo000

Joined Mar 1, 2023
This is now easily done in KiCad version 6.0 (not sure which version added it) and I felt the need to respond because I came here searching for the same answer.

In the PCB Editor, click on Edit -> Edit Text & Graphics Properties:

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 1.34.57 AM.png

You can filter the components by reference, footprint id, etc. Or you can apply to everything currently assigned to the F.Fab layer, then you can set the action to change the layer to be the F.Silkscreen layer. The change will be applied to all filtered components. Also you can limit the scope of what is affected.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 1.36.00 AM.png

Basically there is now a tool in KiCad to easily change multiple <anything> and it's pretty great! I hope this helps someone

Attachments

bidrohini

Joined Jul 29, 2022
This is now easily done in KiCad version 6.0 (not sure which version added it) and I felt the need to respond because I came here searching for the same answer.

In the PCB Editor, click on Edit -> Edit Text & Graphics Properties:

View attachment 288642

You can filter the components by reference, footprint id, etc. Or you can apply to everything currently assigned to the F.Fab layer, then you can set the action to change the layer to be the F.Silkscreen layer. The change will be applied to all filtered components. Also you can limit the scope of what is affected.

View attachment 288644

Basically there is now a tool in KiCad to easily change multiple <anything> and it's pretty great! I hope this helps someone
Can we do the same in version 7 too?

tetsuo000

Joined Mar 1, 2023
Can we do the same in version 7 too?
Looks like yes, however I cannot verify because I would have to update my OS and I don't want to do that right now. But I would be amazed if they removed such a feature in newer releases, it's very powerful. You can also edit multiple symbols in the schematic editor in nearly the same way.