Keypad data recording

armen323

Joined Oct 14, 2009
hello... i hope someone can help me with a project that i am working on... I have a simple keypad data recorder which uses 4x4 keypad. The data recorder is a simple 8 wire design unit. What I am trying to do is to connected to a unit to record and analyze the data that is been received on that unit. The unit it self has a simple 4x4 keypad and is connected to its controlling computer. I am able to connect the recording device to the keypad and the controlling computer and have the device act like a bridge, but when I do this, the recording device works find and records the data but the controlling computer and the keypad for some reason do not function right. All the wires on all the devices are been connected right but for some reason it just dose not work. The keypad goes crazy and starts making beeping sounds, i have to press 2 many times to get 2, bottom line it just dose not work right. It seams that it somehow knows that there is something connected, which is kind of strange because this is not somekind of a secure device (controlling computer).

The recording device used 3.7 v bat power and has 8 wires coming out to connect to the keypad matrix but I only use 7. The keypad has 10 wires coming out but again i only use 7 to connect. The way I have it set up now is I have the splitting cable which has the MTA connectors the keypad is connected using MTA -100 (male 10 wires) then the controlling computer is connected using MTA 100 (female 10 wires) then at the end the recording device is connected leaving 3 wires open.

While back ago a friend of mine did a project very similar to what i am doing right now and used the same keypad and also the same controlling computer, but the differs between my device and his recording key device was that he has 10 relays wired to each ofthe wires that were coming out from the keypad and going into the controlling computer, and from the relays he made his connections to his recording device. The replays that he used were 3Vdc Coil - DPDT - 8pin Miniature 2AMPS Relay (http://www.kestparts.com/components/miscellaneous/relays/categories/minirelays.asp )....

Can some one please help me setting my device to functon, I am also willing to pay for anyone that would be able to fix this for me. You can contact me here or send me an email at <snip>

Armen

Last edited by a moderator:

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Please post a schematic of your setup. Also, a "controlling computer" may refer to anything from a PIC chip to the latest desktop PC. Probably the code you use would also be helpful.

--Rich

armen323

Joined Oct 14, 2009
I really can not do anything to the controlling computer nor the keypad, the changes or additions need to be done on the recording device it self.

Can I use something like a filter or a splitter type of a device or a component to split the signals so that it will not be as if there is something in between the signals so that the controlling computer would function right?

For example when the digit 8 is pressed on the keypad the way it would be where there is not a recording device connected it would straight go to the controlling computer as if wires 8 and 7 are press (example) but when 8 is pressed and there is a recording device that signal goes to 2 devices recording and controlling. I think when the signal from the keypad is split or send to other location (device) this is when the controlling computer some how understands this and stops functioning right. OR the recording device sends signals from the 8 keypad matrix wires and that sets off the controlling unit.

I can send you the specs of the recording device for you to see, but as I mention if we can have some type of a filter to use or a splitter so that signals received or send would be send accordingly. to the right destinations. Keypad digits pressed signal is send (-/+) to 2 devices controlling unit and recording unit.

Armen