Keypad button labels

Druzyek

Joined May 19, 2013
I have a button matrix made from 6x6mm push buttons like these:

http://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/13019317/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuwaeeX4K1QqEaCG2iXYHLJ

I would like to glue labels directly to the buttons to make a sort of keyboard. What would be the best way to make hard plastic labels at home? Something like the plastic used to make credit cards would be ideal. I thought about using lamination but this probably isn't very durable. Is there anything I can make with common materials?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You can use transparency material with the label printed on the bottom side, so it is protected from wear. But with those tiny buttons, I doubt that any kind of label will stay on.

Druzyek

Joined May 19, 2013
What do you mean transparency material? Do you mean putting plastic directly into a printer? I was hoping to make the label 10x10mm or so. I think something like credit card material could be glued on if the wear wasn't too rough.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
These are some switches I use. You can get them from Sparkfun or from Ebay if you hunt around. I like them a bit more then plain tactile switches as they have a large (and colored!) button face.

Note these have a nice lip at the bottom. When mounted on a board behind the front panel this lip will keep the button from popping out of your unit.

You could make something similar for your tactile buttons, and add whatever marking you wish.

Druzyek

Joined May 19, 2013
You could make something similar for your tactile buttons, and add whatever marking you wish.
Thanks for the suggestion. The matrix is already soldered so I don't know if I could find some that fit. The big problem is putting the symbols I want on the buttons.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
What do you mean transparency material? Do you mean putting plastic directly into a printer? I was hoping to make the label 10x10mm or so. I think something like credit card material could be glued on if the wear wasn't too rough.
At 10mm square, I don't know how you will keep the labels on the tiny buttons. How far apart are the switches?

Druzyek

Joined May 19, 2013
At 10mm square, I don't know how you will keep the labels on the tiny buttons. How far apart are the switches?
A few mm apart. 10x10 would fit. Hmm, I don't understand why they wouldn't stick. Doesn't super glue work fairly well for plastic to plastic? I was thinking thin plastic like a credit card. Anything should work as long as it isn't very flexible.

You can try Brother P-Touch label makers.
I think I know the ones you mean but aren't those labels fairly flexible?

You will have to cover the label to prevent it from wearing off.
Right. How would I do that?