Karnaugh vs boolean algebra

Combat_Israel

Joined Feb 14, 2007
Hi,

What is the advantage of using boolean algebra compared to Karnaugh maps for simplifying truth tables? One thing I know is if you have many variables, but otherwise I find Karnaugh maps much easier.

Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi,

What is the advantage of using boolean algebra compared to Karnaugh maps for simplifying truth tables? One thing I know is if you have many variables, but otherwise I find Karnaugh maps much easier.

Thanks.
Karnaugh maps for five and six variables are difficult if not impossible to visualize and see patterns. It is not a question of one versus the other they are both tools in the toolbox to be used in the appropriate circumstance. Your question is a complete red herring.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Additional to complexity, for the experienced Boolean algebra is a more efficient method to use, in terms of time taken for a given problem, than using Karnaugh Maps. Given that software exists that can simplify truth tables this is somewhat obsolete these days, but considering a manual approach this is my take on it.

Dave

ynaji

Joined Jan 28, 2007
Karnaugh map is very easy than using the boolean algebra. because some logic are very difficult to simplify them. For 5 or 6 variable , you can use the McCluskey method to solve it. There is a tool you can use to simplify any logic called LogicAid.

Karnaugh map is very easy than using the boolean algebra. because some logic are very difficult to simplify them. For 5 or 6 variable , you can use the McCluskey method to solve it. There is a tool you can use to simplify any logic called LogicAid.

please tell me what is LogicAid.