Kanda 8031 microcontroller development system

ghola

Joined Sep 14, 2012
Hi,

I know very little about pic's / microcontrolers, but I would like to. I have been looking at various development kits like pickit2 / pickit3. I ended up on kanda.com and I saw a piece of kit ( a keypad ) which looked familiar.

Long story short - A few years ago a friend gave me a briefcase containing some kit which promptly went into my attic.

I have now dug it out and attached are two pictures of the 8031 Microcontroller Training and development kanda kit. I was wondering if this equipment can be used with today's software or hardware or should I just consign it back to my attic ?

There is a floppy disk labelled ' Training and Development System Software version 2.1'

If anyone could advise I would be very grateful.

Attachments

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Consign it back to your attic or see if it's worth something on ebay. It's going back 30 years going of the date on the Intel chip!

It's really old stuff and whilst you may learn something you'd be far better using "modern" stuff in my opinion.

grkevin

Joined Dec 28, 2012
I designed that. I used the eeprom because the flash versions of the 51 weren't available at that time. The Atmel rep came to see me and offered the flash version but the kit wasn't selling well so I didn't upgrade it. He also showed me a new device called the AVR and I designed a starter kit for it, which Atmel sold, called the STK200 (I modified it slightly to become the STK300). I designed the whole thing in 3 days (including the PCB layout).

The 51 had a simple debugger built in which, if I recall, took up less than 100 bytes and worked reasonably well.