just wanted to say hi and ask you all a question

metal mania

Joined Jun 18, 2013
hi I wanted to introduce myself basically Im an electronic noob and I wish to learn Im a member of another electronics forum but they have a kind of elitist snobbery about them Ie ask a question and get shot down in pieces. Ive read though a few replies it doesn't seem like that here I may ask questions that seem self explanatory to many with knowledge greater than me and also I may not fully understand and answer and ask for further breakdown is this the kind of place I could do that with out annoying members if so I wish to bask in the glory of your Superior intellect and knowledge.

If not I will leave quietly and we will say no more thanks in advance.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Ask the question and gauge the responses.;)

As long as you are willing to accept alternative opinions about your questions or ideas, you should be fine.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
The problem with any forum is the guys that know the stuff and hang out on the forums have seen the same questions several thousand times and sometimes forget the new guy is just looking for an answer to his question.

The way the guys on this forum answer some of the questions I have read are truly amazing with the patience they exhibit. Ask away if it has an answer someone will know it.

metal mania

Joined Jun 18, 2013
The problem with any forum is the guys that know the stuff and hang out on the forums have seen the same questions several thousand times and sometimes forget the new guy is just looking for an answer to his question.

The way the guys on this forum answer some of the questions I have read are truly amazing with the patience they exhibit. Ask away if it has an answer someone will know it.

thanks for the replies guys I will always do a search before asking

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013

WELL Said .......

I use to play on the eebblog but really find it hard to get any answers and there search system just plainly sucks .. But I find the people on here really willing to help anyone even with a really stupid question....

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You're right. Some of us have seen it all. Just be warned that we have only so much patience.
So to set you off on the right footing here are some of my guidelines.

1) Post a subject title that is meaningful to everyone. "Help please" is of no use. Provide some insight to the question or problem.

2) Provide just enough info in the first post to give us the big picture of what you are working on.

3) Write in full sentences with proper grammar and punctuation. No textese shorthand allowed.

4) Search Google first before posting a question.

I do have more but they can wait.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
hi I wanted to introduce myself basically Im an electronic noob and I wish to learn Im a member of another electronics forum but they have a kind of elitist snobbery about them Ie ask a question and get shot down in pieces. Ive read though a few replies it doesn't seem like that here I may ask questions that seem self explanatory to many with knowledge greater than me and also I may not fully understand and answer and ask for further breakdown is this the kind of place I could do that with out annoying members if so I wish to bask in the glory of your Superior intellect and knowledge.

If not I will leave quietly and we will say no more thanks in advance.

I'm still asking dumb questions, and they haven't shot, court-martialled, or drawn and quartered me yet; so you are in safe hands.:D Welcome!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes.

A thread you post belongs to you. If someone tries to take it over this is called hijacking, I or some other moderator will move the hijack post to another thread, usually with a link to the original included.

One of the moderators jobs here is to enforce civility. No flames or attacks are allowed, no one is born knowing this stuff. There is a breed of troll that tries to build themselves up by putting others down, they end up banned or learn better manners here.

If you do have a problem with a person don't respond, just use the little red triangle/exclamation mark in the corner to report the offending thread. A moderator will be by and take care of it.

Have fun learning and playing with electronics, it is what we are here for. Many of us enjoy continuous learning and helping others, it is why we are here.

There are many other features on this site to have fun with. I am fond of the blogging section as well as the albums.

Bill's Blog

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
is that allowed asking a secondary question within a primary thread
The way solve this is to start a new thread. With your question. And then post a link the original thread. To be more specific post the # number besides the red triangle/exclamation. This way you have your own thread based on an existing one. Free to take it any direction you want

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I am among the ones called, "rude" often enough, but it is not because I'm malicious. I'm pragmatic, practical, a "get-er-done" kind of person. Having seen way more thousands of questions than I have answered, I tend to write short sentences and short answers, especially until the question is fully defined and I get a feel for how to address the questioner. We deal with everybody from serious noobies to BSEE graduates and we can't guess at what level you are able to think.

"Hi. I have a battery. How long will it last?"
Not enough information. I can't answer that.

Please bring your sense of humor. It helps you realize I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to get at the heart of the question, quickly. I've seen many threads with 15 or 20 posts, and we still haven't dragged enough information out of the questioner to give a useful answer. If you need background information before you can phrase your "real" question, you are allowed to ask simple questions, often using several threads to get your thoughts organized.

Then there is the fact that each person words things differently. This is a 2 edged sword. Five people can give essentially the same answer, but only one will trigger you to understand. The way you ask your question will make no sense at all to some people, and someone else will know exactly what you want because that's his "day job". That happened to me just a few minutes ago. Someone was asking about what might be a TV or a computer monitor and I had no idea what he wanted. Fortunately, someone else had seen that one before I did and knew the answer instantly.

Gotta go to work now.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I think that what people generally don't like is when someone isn't bothered to do their own research/work and expects someone else to do it for them .

'Hey guys could you calculate xxx xxx xxx , thanks ! ' <-------------

Just google your question before hand or try to solve whatever you want to ask first and if you are having no luck then ask the question and provide as much info as you can, including circuit diagrams and datasheets if you are asking about a specific component .

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good point, shagas. Much like in "real" life, I like to help people. Teaching people that they don't need to make any effort at all is not helping. This site is not a free engineering corporation, it's a bunch of helpful people stopping in after work to help a few people understand how to solve their own problems. The goal is to get you to be able to function at some level. If you want the answers handed to you with minimum to zero effort, try google. Surprising enough, it often works, but with no real understanding, the first difference between what you want and what is available on google and you're stopped.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Good to hear you like the site.
If you have any questions, start asking.
We will be happy to answer the questions.

There is also the eBook, see the tabs on the top of the page.
The eBook can be downloaded using the PDF sign at the right top on the index page of a volume.
Did you also look at the useful websites thread:
Useful websites for electronics (Ver. 2)
Or the RF related links thread:
RF related links
If you are looking for parts for your projects, you might want to have a look at this thread:
Components Selection Guide

Bertus