Just need some help

Maintenance Man

Joined May 12, 2010
Hi to all,

I am stuck on what should be a simple word problem. I am drawing a blank on how to solve this one. Any help with helping me understand how to solve this one, would be greatly appreciated. I know it must have a simple solution, but I am not seeing it at this time. Thank you all very much.

You are calculating payroll. Your company has 45 employees who work 40 hrs at $17 per hour. 14 employees each worked 6 hrs of overtime at 50% above their hourly rate. What percentage of the total payroll that week was overtime pay?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Oops, AFAIK "DUCY" was as well traveled as, say, "AFAIK." But I guess I'm wrong. "DUCY" is just "do you see why?" and is a close cousin to "O rly?"

As every one of the 14 employees who worked OT gets paid for 40 hrs at $17 per hour it is unclear if this company has 45 or 45+14 employees.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I understood the meaning of DUCY, though I prefer full English instead of txt msg spk.

I see what you're saying now in your explanation but by explicitly stating the number of employees getting regular pay, the group getting overtime pay is implied as a subset. If this were not true, the problem would be unsolvable as you say.