Just broke a string of addressable LEDs (SK9822) but not sure why/how

seanspotatobusiness

Joined Sep 17, 2016
I have an LED strip that uses 2020 size SK9822 addressable LEDs (they are a clone of the APA102 type). I had them connected to an Arduino which was providing the signals and power was coming from a PC PSU (to which the Arduino was also connected). I was using jumper wires connected to a JST cable. A pair of the jumper cables touched and I heard a crackle sound came from the strip itself (not the connectors or the PSU) and it went out. What I don't understand is, why did this affect the strip? I don't know which pair of jumper wires touched so maybe the clock or the data signal was pulled high or low or maybe the clock and signal touched each other or maybe the power touched. Both the Arduino and PSU are fine and when connected to another LED strip, the strip lights up as expected.

Would this have likely harmed every LED or just the first LED on the strip? Being size 2020 LEDs, they're kind of inconvenient to answer that question empirically (the strip is 5 mm wide compared to 12 mm for a normal 5050 size) although it's certainly worth trying.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Did you check to see if the output from the Arduino is still toggling? A short of the supply or ground to the output could have knocked out that output without completely killing the Arduino.

Bob

seanspotatobusiness

Joined Sep 17, 2016
Like I say, I tested it with another strip and it works so the Arduino GPIO pins are fine. There are resistors coming from the GPIO pins anyway, and the jumper leads are connected to those.