just a thought

resistorburner

Joined Dec 6, 2012
I was reading the questions at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/flow.html
and in question 6 it says that atleast one device "zener diode" (in conventional flow) goes against this arrow but in question 10 it shows the zener diode sign as going with the flow in conventional which something isnt making sence unless that 3 picture in question 10' answer is not the zener diode as its showing electron flow if the arrow is backwards.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Actually, the author could have chosen either direction and chose either answer as a zener that is forward biased will conduct, and will also conduct in reverse once the voltage has reached the zener breakdown voltage...

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
First off, I will assume that you are referring to the 4th picture on the first row, on Question no10, when talking about the "Zener diode".

If this is to be taken as a Zener diode operating as normal on reverse-bias, then the red arrow indicates the electron flow direction.

However, I believe the symbol represents a Schottky diode (it's not clear, I know) operating in forward-bias and the red arrow indicates the conventional current flow.