Jury rig a laptop power supply

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I found an old laptop, with no power supply, and I would like to fire it up and see what it's got on it.
If the power receptical were round, I could easily do that, I've got a lot of 12v power supplys laying around.

This laptop however take a square, four pin plug.

It's not a name brand laptop, so I haven't been able to research it and find out what I need to know.

I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction.

How would I go about wiring it up?

I've included a rough sketch of what it looks like, and I found no contuniity across any of the four pins.

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
I'm with Bill, you said it's not a name brand but then you didn't tell us anything else, we effectively have no information to go on. If the names you can provide here don't allow us to find anything about what the possible input/outputs might be then your next best bet is to disassemble the laptop and take good quality photographs of the circuit board(s) attached to the incoming power.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
On closer examination, I found the screen was cracked, so I trashed it. Sorry for the rabbit chase.

Thanks,
Gary

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
By trashed I hope you mean disassembled carefully and scavenged every usable connector and chip that was to have on there =)
I'm currently in the final stages of dissecting an old Compaq Presario 2100, and found a piece of sheet metal a couple inches square that's .008 thick that is perfect for a project I have in mind.