johnwestmids - welder project

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The makers dont sell power supplys for this as you use a diesel/petrol generater to run it on DC, ,,, Thats why its called an ADD on inverter ??

The person that sold it me of flebay is no longer a seller they Banned him as was advertised with leads and paperwork BUT came with none of them Tryed several ways to contact him and its no good,,,so left on my own :confused: to sort it out???
You are screwed. The transformer you will need will cost as much as a good AC powered welder.

Despite what you think about the safety of rectifying the mains directly, this forum has a policy against allowing such threads. BTW, my earlier comment was made having no idea where you were. I suspected you might be from the USA, as we stopped teaching grammar here years ago. I guess the same happened in England too.

I remain surprised why this thread remains open. Perhaps you have pull with the Gods.

John

thats a good sign. :rolleyes:

How about on the unit itself.

Is there a plate on the back of the unit that has the input / output ratings?

Is this the Two-Hundred (200) or the Two-Thousand (2000) series?

Can you see the area where the power supply plugs in? Does it have an input voltage requirement or a recommendation printed anywhere?
To start With after re looking at the welder its a ( VIPER 2500s ) I made a mistake thinking it was a viper 2000,, as this is what it was sold to me as,

On the back of the welder there is 2 dince pins for the power leads to connect to a + and a - .. Yes ime in the united kingdom,,

AND AS FOR THE GRAMMER WE CARNT ALL BE PERFECT CAN WE ??????

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The Viper 2500s is just an add-on for a DC welder to give you TIG capability. It includes control for argon, starting (HF), and other controls.
(http://www.newarc.co.uk/admin/user_documents_company1/item_document_22.pdf)

First, you need a DC welder. Is your question simply how to make a DC welder? If so, what are your current and open-circuit voltage needs? Have you looked into buying one, which will be a lot cheaper than trying to make one?

John

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
Just go talk to the manufacturer, tell them what's the situation, and ask them what to do. They will be more than happy from helping. Send them a picture of the thing you have, to see if they can recognize it correctly.

If it turns out that the seller scammed you, and you buyed by ebay or similar service, you can contact them to fix the problem.

AS said in earlier report ive been in touch with makers they said i need a dc supply and thats it with them?? also the bloke that sold it to me can nolonger be contacted as ebay banned him so as said by another person ime screwed ???

THE Welder is NEWARC Viper 2500s
Input voltage 30 volts to 100 volts
Output 250 AMPS ??

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How long ago did you get this device? I checked ebay UK and found a few Newarc TIG add-on devices, even a Viper 2500s. All were accurately described. None of the vendors for completed auctions had been banned.

The product literature for the Viper 2500s seems perfectly clear to me. Perhaps Newarc feels the same way. Have you ever TIG welded? Do you understand the terminology related to heat, slope, and starting?

Besides a device for controlling the TIG functions (i.e., the Newarc Viper 2500s) you will also need to control your welding current/voltage. If you can't do that, you are going to have a difficult time switching from, say, 3 mm steel to 0.2 mm aluminum. That is why you need to get a ready made DC welder -- if you want to use the Viper 2500s. A "simple" transformer and rectifier is not going to give you a very useful TIG welder. Your best option might be to sell the unit you have and buy a complete TIG welder for the type of work you want to do. I recommend something with either a hand or foot control. For really enjoyable, sit-down welding, I prefer the foot control.

John

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
The Viper 2500s is just an add-on for a DC welder to give you TIG capability. It includes control for argon, starting (HF), and other controls.
(http://www.newarc.co.uk/admin/user_documents_company1/item_document_22.pdf)

First, you need a DC welder. Is your question simply how to make a DC welder? If so, what are your current and open-circuit voltage needs? Have you looked into buying one, which will be a lot cheaper than trying to make one?

John
this is 100% correctamundo.

to a welding professional, a dc welder is a power supply.
DC Constant Voltage.
However, it is a bitch and some consider an impossibility to weld aluminum with DC. AC is required.
The high frequency add on inverter is used to create the AC wave with which aluminum will be welded with a DC welder.
The ability of some inverters to be able to adjust the amount of time the wave goes positive with respect to when the wave is negative results in superb welding results.

All this you will learn in due time.
as you progress in the field of welding, you will accumulate all kinds of equipment. You will find a use for the inverter or use it in a trade for some other equipment you can use.