jobs ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am looking for a job that I will like and have fun at.
I have looked thru career builder , monster,...etc site.
But these sites don't tell you full everything I want to know.

I have many degrees in many different subjects... I can do physics , math , computers , electronics , accounting , financing , economic/trade/politics , even some medical research.

I am seeking to know what state has what types of jobs and what types of work.

I am more into the research and development jobs but also have attendance to like to build/invent knew stuff as well.

Is their a place or a site out their that I can go to that will allow me to find a job that fits me and is fun. I like to be on the cutting edge of different types of fields technologies as well as working on mathematical theory as well.

Flex hours would be nice since I like to work usually on my own hours but I can be a little flexible. Like come in at 9 to 5 one week then 10 to 6 another week then 8 to 4 another week ,...etc don't like the standard hours rule in general but can deal with it some what.

Don't mind working with people in small groups but large groups don't really work out when it comes to cutting edge stuff first their isn't enough people to make a large intelligent group on the subject usually ... (I am more comfortable with working in small teams or groups)

Love to learn new things

Thanks for any help

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
You should consider entrepreneurship...you can then arrange your life/work/activities anyway you like...
True but I need the funding and don't really want the responsibility of handling my own business.... Maybe later or if I cann't find a company that I enjoy to work for then this will be my last resort. I will have to some how come up with away to get known fast and then if I am I would have to beable to have other people help me complete the work if I have tons of customers. I am only one person.

I like Simplyhired.com.
Do they allow you to see all the companies in a given state and what the job will entail / what skills , and what type of work , hours , atmosphere ,..etc is a typical day.

Also I have to say my HR interviews are usually very bad... I am not good at some of the questions they ask , I am unsure where I see myself in 10 years , ....etc
Is their any tips that you guys can suggest on how to answer these hard questions honestly and not look like a complete bubbling idiot in their eyes.
As well I have some gaps in my resume partly because I took some time off to do my own research and get a few certification... how should you handle a question on what you where doing in this time period .... when simple I some times want to take a break from work every 5 years or so.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I have posted before ,at your local unempolyment agency. Ask for a

manager tell him you would to get into special jobs program,tell him

you will go along with there testing and training programs. There are

jobs,they just need people that know something to be placed. The

reason you don't see jobs posted, the employment agencies are giving

them tax credits to post there jobs free and fill the job opennings.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You don't see transport companies making deliveries to small business

anymore. You use to have tractor trailers in the middle of the street.

No more , the deliveries are going to large regional warehouses. Most

times you have to go pick up your order,I have two tons on the bed

of a pickup truck,the rear end dragging the ground.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Do they allow you to see all the companies in a given state and what the job will entail / what skills , and what type of work , hours , atmosphere ,..etc is a typical day.

Also I have to say my HR interviews are usually very bad... I am not good at some of the questions they ask , I am unsure where I see myself in 10 years , ....etc
Is their any tips that you guys can suggest on how to answer these hard questions honestly and not look like a complete bubbling idiot in their eyes.
As well I have some gaps in my resume partly because I took some time off to do my own research and get a few certification... how should you handle a question on what you where doing in this time period .... when simple I some times want to take a break from work every 5 years or so.
simplyhired.com is only one option to look for jobs. I like them because the list jobs from any other major job site like monster, jobboom, workopolis etc.

The following may only be of interest if you are looking for employment (not self-employed):

As for the unexpected questions, there are many sites on the net that explain exactly how to prepare yourself for this kind of question. From what I've learned most often the exact answer doesn't matter but they way you handle it or if you can handle it.
Preparation is everything, and believe me you can be prepared. When I came to Canada I was facing the same problem so I prepared myself. Since I was coming to the french part I trained every of these stupid questions with friends, simulating interviews.
"Where do you think you'll be in 5 years from here?, Why do you think we should choose YOU?, What makes you think you are better than the other candidates?"... Believe me there is an answer to each of these questions.

The most important thing in an interview is that you show self-confidence with regard to everything you say. They must believe that you are really their best option.

Believe it or not, both times I moved from one country to another I had a job within a few weeks and I had to choose between 2 or 3 offers. You start small, prove that you are doing a good job and soon earn more.

To find the right job:

Don't rely only on job search sites!
First decide what exactly you want, then think about the region you want to work and if you will be willing to relocate. Then look up the business directory from the chosen region. Make a list of companies that you think could fit your needs. Example: if you want to work with electronics development it's useless to work for a distributor or a maintenance company. While making this list have a look at their website to find out if the service/products the offer really interests you and if the job you dream of could possibly exist in this company.
Then write your resume. Resumes need to be more or less adapted for every company you send them to. They need to think that YOU are the one they where looking for. I don't know about the US, but here LOTS of jobs are simply not published. The hiring process is expensive so companies try to fill positions by other means first.
So you CAN send unsolicited applications. 70% of my interviews I had due to those applications. Don't forget the cover letter, brief, not repeating information already contained in the resume and not explaining EVERYTHING in detail, just enough to excite their curiosity.

There are different forms of resumes, some of them don't contain a timeline so it's not visible if you took a year off or so.

Since you live in the US I can't help a lot finding the right business directory and all other information like how to write resumes, answer meaningless questions etc I looked up in french.

Just google "stupid interview questions" and you will find tons of them. The bad: They really ask them. The good: If you are prepared you answer them with self confidence and a smile and all is good.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
At this time,there is a lot of pressure to hire U.S....I'm amazed with the

special talent and education on this Forum that there are so many members

having trouble finding positions. Like you say the H.R. questions are tough,wait

until you get to the oral Interview....that will make or break a job.

I keep saying you have to know your stuff to get a job,give us a concise

application in 25 words or less that a H.R. person would see on there screen.

There has been members that have offered jobs,I wonder If a member has

ever helped get another member get a job,thats a difficult question.

See how many members agree that you are ready for todays market. Your next

job will with the help of a friend that can give you a good reference.

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for the tips.
My dream job would be some think tank science/computer/research company.
Where I would be doing math proofs , theory , problems.
Where I would be programming in many different computer languages and technologies.
Where I can build stuff like new device / engineering stuff.

Unfortunately I don't know what companies their would be a job for this that fits this stuff.
Basically free rain to progress the world and solve problems of all types physics , math , computer, engineering...etc

Unfortunately I want to stay local and not move but if their was a dream job farther away I guess I would have to consider moving but this is a last resort. (my dream job would be the above)

If anybody knows of any companies that fit the bill please let me know.

I will practice with the interview questions.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If you are willing to travel,go to fortune 500 company and use that type

langage.They need people that think on there feet,but as I have said so

many times you have to be able to sit down at a computer and give them

demonstation on the spot,in many areas requested....can you do that.

Not many people know math,that is your ticket...search the company.

You have to have that engineer degree,because like the gulf spill you

will be in that seat,they expect you to come thru if you are in think tank.

Are you ready...............

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Math, you are in think tank,I have the permits to do a telecommunications

project,you have to give a start up report on solving the the problems.

How will you do this startup,before google does this you have to figure out

to design a system that will.....Get your call thru when you are on hold or

automated system keeping you from finding the person or person in company

that you need to reach,we have the permits to find this person by using our

electronic system to break in or have special(AnSir) alert that this system is trying

to locate person by following his communications down to his cell phone or

any phone. Ansir tone that will put your call thru by tracting his phone numbers.

You have the permits,you need to describe,the break-in message,the tone and how

you will intercept the call or the Ansir tone,that will tell the person to take the by

an accepted system that has been invented to work on phone systems,beyond

the phone companies control..with government permits to find and contact someone

for a service fee. With this service your phone and cell phone would be ringing now

with special (Ansir) alert,and your e-mail would be sayiny you have mail ...all done with

new software. The main focus would automated voice answering services,that have

permits to do what they do. AnSir Alert would have Twitter account and the crawler

message on the T.V.....AnSir Alert is new with many options to explore and dismiss.

Heard your name or Id name on the car radio when its off lately. A new world of

communications,turning your devices on to reach you (AnSir Alert)

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I believe I have the qualifications now ... since I have got new certifications , a math masters degree , computer degree , have build radio transmitters , good with soldering , know engineering very well, have built most of a house ,...list goes on.

Main skills including project management stuff , customer supply chain stuff , finical/accounting stuff (may in the near future take the CPA , CFO exams) , in the process of getting my Certified ethical hacker , and forensic/private investigator certifications.

Have did even alittle on the math theory of economics , and know am intermediate at politics.

I would say I have anything a business could want and if I don't have it I am a very fast learner.

So plz let me know if you find a job out their that fits the think tank / subjects that a listed in the above posts....

I like math , or computers ,...etc but I want the ability once I finish work on a math project or a computer program to go on to something different then come back to it...

Sort of like the ability to do all things or change it up... never like doing the same thing over and over again.... because even the most coolest stuff gets borning if you do it over and over again.

For example I thought it was pretty cool when I learned how to fix a car engine.... I then started fixing all types of engines like lawn mowers , chain saws ,...etc after I did enough work with engines I got bored of it.
I like to work on cars here and their but not all the time.

The point I am trying to make is I would like a job that would keep me interested.
And to do that it would have to let me work on a whole bunch of different things ...etc

Is their any companies out their like that?

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Thanks for the tips.
My dream job would be some think tank science/computer/research company.
Where I would be doing math proofs , theory , problems.
Where I would be programming in many different computer languages and technologies.
Where I can build stuff like new device / engineering stuff.

Unfortunately I don't know what companies their would be a job for this that fits this stuff.
Basically free rain to progress the world and solve problems of all types physics , math , computer, engineering...etc

Unfortunately I want to stay local and not move but if their was a dream job farther away I guess I would have to consider moving but this is a last resort. (my dream job would be the above)

If anybody knows of any companies that fit the bill please let me know.

I will practice with the interview questions.
Probably the finest think tank that ever existed were the Bell Labs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Labs

Unfortunately, as far as science is concerned, they started to go downhill many years ago. This is the last entry on the wiki page:

"On August 28, 2008, Alcatel-Lucent announced it was pulling out of basic science, material physics, and semiconductor research, and it will instead focus on more immediately marketable areas, including networking, high-speed electronics, wireless networks, nanotechnology and software." (Alcatel-Lucent is the current owner of the Bell Labs)

And I'm afraid that in todays economy most companies have their focus on immediately marketable stuff. "Basically free rain to progress the world..." - I think this will be hard to find today.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
.... because even the most coolest stuff gets borning if you do it over and over again.

The point I am trying to make is I would like a job that would keep me interested.
And to do that it would have to let me work on a whole bunch of different things ...etc
You will need your own company/business. Most jobs nowadays are highly specialized, even if you are able to do a lot of different things.
Having many different skills will allow you to work in different areas, but not at the same time.

Even research can be boring after some time, programming too. Being employed means you are not free to do whatever you want/can.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
In this economy you will have to take something that doesn't fit your "dream job". The type of job you are talking about is usually only given to someone from 'inside'.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok, so the only way to do all this stuff or what you want fully is working for your self. Correct?

Their is no business that allows you to move around and do a little of everything.
Even if you are a super genius ? ( and have great ideas and can solve many different unsolved problems in different areas i.e relate alot of different areas to solve unsolved problems and basically progress the world in alot of subject matters)

Question 2)
If I decide to work for a company and not start my own business. My only fear is if I get bored/un-interested at doing say semi-conductor , cpu , electronics ,...etc stuff after 2 years or so and want to switch over to math or physics/chemical engineering...etc
Then I am in fear of being able to easily find a place to change to that subject or get the job based on competition or interviewing/personal skills.

As well I have a fear of being able to easily get a job back in semi-conductors , cpu , electronics ,...etc again after getting bored with the math , physics ,...etc.

My dream job is to be able to work on a little of every thing then it wouldn't be work at all problem I need money and the only way to get this money is working for a company or myself. However if I work for myself I won't have enough time to do all of the daily tasks and may make considerablely less then working for a company and doing the same ****. Is their anything I can do to at least get an equal balance or at least work for a company then take a leave for a year or so to do my own research the come back to work. If I could that would be the balance I would be looking for.... however the problem is transitioning from job to no-job in an easy way. Is their any such way?

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
you have a lot, but you don't seem to know where you are going. There is no job that will keep you engaged in the way you want unless you keep yourself engaged by it. The way you describe your previous experiences, you will get bored with design because even if you are working on a new piece, the process is still the same. And the paperwork...

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
you are partly correct.

But I have so many ideas in many areas that come to me when I finish a particular project well... I would like the ability to change to do the task I am into at the time...

Is their any other companies out their that will allow you to do this on some level.
If not for every subject.... is their a company that at least allows you to do every aspect of it/computer subjects.

Or all research on particular large topic like the environment ,...etc.

Seems to me companies or jobs just want to specialize in a couple of things... but their are people that are really good at alot of things.

If the answer is no and you must specialize in an area to work at a company. Then would their be any job that would let you do top level research for a few years then allow you take a year off to do your own research or stuff .... then come back. Sort of a break from doing the top level heavy stress work/job.

The only thing I can think of is when a professor takes a leave of absence for a year then comes back.
Is their no other job that does this?

Question 2)
If everything above is NO then is their an easy way to get an average / above average paying job. quickly and easily whenever you want so if you want to take a year off and quit a job you can easily find a knew one in short time.

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
As far as I see it all depends on you level of expertise. But in general, for a company to run smoothly jobs have to be divided so if you are in design, you will be stuck with design and one particular type of design, i.e. it might be hardware, it might be software, but you are unlikely to be doing both (this is just a crude example). This is a logical approach to keep work flow going. Depending on the company you should be able to move from one area to another if you have qualifications, but it is simply inefficient for them to split one person between different tasks, if you know what I mean. If you want to do it all, you'll have to do it by yourself ;)