jobs opportunity and average salaries in analog vs digital .

sagar474

Joined Jul 22, 2010

I need to know to go for analog or digital design.
i think there is huge competition in digital jobs and low salaries.​

Which do you like more? I am actually trying to decide myself. I want to get involved with some start-up companies and I feel like the world is going more digital and that all the things I want to build are more digital than analog. So I am leaning more towards the digital stuff. As far as pay goes, I have no idea which pays more but I bet they are pretty comparable.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In today's job market, quit the comparison. Get the best of both worlds and go for both.
If you cannot do both at the same time then the logical order would be analog first.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Digital electronics has seen much greater expansion in recent years than analogue, but perhaps too many people are trying to get into it. There may be a relative shortage of analogue engineers - but you may be best placed to know what applies in your own region.

You also need to take account of your own aptitudes - if you are much better suited to a given field, you might be better to concentrate on it, unless the job situation clearly over-rules this. If you are still studying, perhaps how well you will progress in various subjects may tend to make this decision for you.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The fact is, learn both. You can't separate the two, they are intertwined. So then the question is not digital or analog, but what kind of electronics, audio, RF, Computers, military industrial, what?

You will find many manufacturers are bargain hunting for employee's, something that will eventually bite them on the assets. You may have to take a job that pays less than you would like to get into the career path you want, then work your way up (and hope it isn't rendered technology obsolete in 10 or so years).

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
On the otherside it is hard to train a digital tech to work on analog circuits. Example digital world pull ups and pull downs can be changed out for other values and have little effect. I am a test engineer and was training a digital technician how to test and debug power supplies. This guy was top notch on digital stuff but when he asked me if 270 volts was a "High" I knew that it was going to be a long transistion.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have to go with, "both". As Bill said, they are intertwined. Measuring the outside world is usually done in analog, and it can be very picky. After all, your basic accuracy is set by the first conversion. Then you can digitally process the signal all you want.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
These fields are bigger than once they were. To have as wide as possible knowledge of the subject at a moderate level is a good goal, but to develop a really high level of expertise in many disciplines is a lot to ask. At least that's how I see it, given my own limitations: others with more flexible brains should of course make the best use of what they have been given, and be thankful for it.

That said, as for the chap who asked if 270V was a "High", I wonder if he was high himself.

I have little interest in becoming employed as an electrical engineer, but I am trying to
learn both, as well as logic circuit design and programming. In robotics (my field of interest) they are all equally useful! And they all compliment each other anyway.

In terms of getting employed, I would suggest being a generalist, but having real expertise in one area that you're interested in or good at.

Cheers,
Barnaby