job hunting advice for Diploma graduate

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

I am about to finish my two year Diploma in electronics, and thing is not going according my plan, and I will need to get a job.

So what kind of job should I be targeting for?

here is my skills:
MCU (Atmel, PIC, MSP430, know Atmel more than others)
PCB Design - KiCad, Eagle
C/C++
Python
LTSpice
Basic analog and digital stuff. (I am more a /* piratical */ practical person than a academic one, I have built all the practical version of whatever circuit teach at school).

Done a few personal projects and a couple commercial projects with MCU.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Move to where products are being designed and manufactured. Doubt that NZ has much to offer, although you can always enjoy the scenery while slowly going broke. Not much going on here lately.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Move to where products are being designed and manufactured. Doubt that NZ has much to offer, although you can always enjoy the scenery while slowly going broke. Not much going on here lately.
Yeah I might have to, but due to some personal reasons, I can't move to stay in Wellington for at least a couple years.

And you sound like you are in NZ too?

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yeah I might have to, but due to some personal reasons, I can't move to stay in Wellington for at least a couple years.

And you sound like you are in NZ too?
Michigan, USA (GMT-5) is pretty far from NZ. I based my comment on never having encountered ANY piece of electronics manufactured in NZ. I could certainly be misinformed.

Getting started in electronics is a catch 22 situation.
You need experience to get a job but cant get experience until you get a job.

I was lucky in a company took me on as a simple test engineer.
However while I was there I progressed to repairing equipment then later designing hardware and software.
Sometimes you have to just take what comes along and hope there is career progression path.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Too bad you are not in the US, you would be an excellent candidate to give my business to. I’m semi retired but have 20 years of knowledge developing Thrill Ride Photo systems, software, hardware and electronics. I’m tired of running around the country to amusement parks and carnivals climbing around coasters. I would like to work out a deal with someone young that could take the business assets and run with it.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Too bad you are not in the US, you would be an excellent candidate to give my business to. I’m semi retired but have 20 years of knowledge developing Thrill Ride Photo systems, software, hardware and electronics. I’m tired of running around the country to amusement parks and carnivals climbing around coasters. I would like to work out a deal with someone young that could take the business assets and run with it.
Someone might contact you after seeing this post, I think there are quite a few students here in this forum. ]

And thanks for your reply, I see that as encouragement! :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Fisher Paykel is a big brand of consumer electronics in NZ and they seem to be penetrating the US big in Medical devices.

There is also a hearing aid manufacturer in NZ. They make the implantable type with the sensor on the skull. They are really innovative with materials and design.

Good luck.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
You should brush up on your grammar. If you submitted a resume or CV written the way the first post was written, you'll have a tough row to hoe.

There are many more people than jobs, so employers can pick the cream of the crop unless you live in Texas.