Japan, nuclear power plant situation. Your thoughts.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/03/17/2011-03-17_talk_of_doomsday_in_japan.html

This is scary %#%^. What do you guys think.

I was born the same year Chernobyl happened. I was born in Ukraine. I have been through this already. I think Japan is more democratic and the government is more truthful to people. Also Japan is full of extremely smart people. They have to figure something out.

Just realized there is already a topic about this, but technically its a poll. Also the situation does not seem to be improving in Japan. I figure this justifies another thread.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They should have grid power back today so positive control of the reactor will be possible again by manual operation of the control system. After nonstop seawater and Boron (reaction poisoning) baths the plants are scrap. Those old model 1 and 2s needed to be shutdown years ago but they need the power now so I can see them spooling up at least 1 undamaged reactor for local control power as a backup to grid supply.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That they failed is not a shock to anyone remotely familiar to the design. Maybe no design could have made it after what happened there with a station blackout and all backups destroyed. Some of my friends in the Navy were Nuc ETs. One guy worked here after he got out in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5OQMoSCrqw

“Not banning them might be the end of nuclear power,” said Mr. Lochbaum, a nuclear engineer who spent 17 years working in nuclear facilities, including three that used the G.E. design.
Questions about the design escalated in the mid-1980s, when Harold Denton, an official with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, asserted that Mark 1 reactors had a 90 percent probability of bursting should the fuel rods overheat and melt in an accident.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/world/asia/16contain.html

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I wish that I had some idea of what the worst-case situation might be. It is terrifying to hear that staff have already had to retreat because of high radiation levels. What would happen if the radiation became so high that attempts to manage the situation had to be permanently abandoned, ending all hope of cooling the reactors or re-filling the spent fuel storage ponds?

Could we then expect further fires and explosions to disperse much of the radioactive material over the surrounding environment? How much of the country might be rendered uninhabitable if this were to happen? What could be the possible loss of life -a few percent of the population, or what?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
With this kind of problem, you don't just "abandon" it. The simple truth is if it reaches that point you ask for volunteers, and make sure their families are taken care of when they are gone. But one way or another it has to be managed, then sealed. The amazing thing is there will be volunteers, people are willing to step up for the greater good.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
As to the volunteers, you only have to read about the efforts at Chernobyl. They had an easier time getting at the core, as there was no layering of containment the way there is in a pressurized water reactor. With the SS vessel around the Japanese reactor cores, it's hard to tell how to deal with them if water flow can't be reestablished.

I am curious as to why those diesel generators never got fired up. They would have literally saved the day.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Chernobyl, I saw video of volunteers nearing the melt down to
document sealing it down.On camera the men said they knew would
not survive. They Interveiw doctors ,professional that stated they were
not allowed to take famlies away. I belive that was the beginning of
the fall of the S.U. when professional did not support policies.I wish
a history person would check the time line of events. Would the melt
down look like a large ball of mercury. Could some one post a melt down If It
exist.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Yes, you are right about Chernobyl. I was born in Ukraine and the government lied to us. At least the government isn't lying to Japan.

Here is an article comparing the situation to 3 mile island.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/18/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

On the same topic, how hard would it be to have 3 backup systems for nuclear power plants that each work on an alternative source of energy? I think this situation has shown that the money cost is nothing compared to safety.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
"""Engineers at Japan's stricken Fukushima nuclear power plant have successfully connected a power line to reactor 2, the UN's nuclear watchdog reports.
Restoring power should enable engineers to restart the pumps which send coolant over the reactor. """

If indeed this is the case, { post #10 by nsaspook } this problem could be under control.

the part that really grinds my grits, are the people contributing to the internet "news opinion forums"
Some are naught more than uneducated fearmongers spouting misinformation, rumors, awa outright lies.

People that do this,:mad: need to be disciplined :D, fined severely, and jailed.:eek: indefinitely until such time as they
learn to keep their ignorant mouths shut, or learn what they are yammering about.

Reactionary ? excessive ? NO !

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Is was stated this a.m. lets tell the truth the same plants in Japan
are made by general electric and the same plants are in locations
in the U.S.A..Can anyone can confirm that,the name of the plants
have been named maybe someone paying attention can name some
U.S cities that have the same plants. Maybe near faults that could end
up being a problem for U.S..I was surprised to hear they were G.E. plants.
Out of site ,out of mind. They showed a map of U.S.A. plants.