I've see threads locked but i've never seen them deleted...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The "AAC on Facebook" thread disappeared over night. I knew we were getting off-topic but I thought that was the point of this section.

In any case, we were just commenting on #12's photo and he confirmed it was actually him.

In my last post, I said I was surprised that he used a real photo - i always thought it was a Jim Morrison photo.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
On principle, we never delete threads when they break the rules. We lock them instead. This is to demonstrate what is not tolerated, so other members can see, to justify the moderators choices and to maintain transparency in moderation.

There is one exception though: Spam. Spam needs to be deleted, since it serves its purpose solely by existing as a read-only post.

The thread in question was started by a member who was later decimated as a spammer, due to actions in another thread. Since he was decimated, the thread went down with him.

It's a real shame, since we got to draw relations between #12 and Jim Morisson. I'll restore this thread by hand.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Well technically "decimated" means "reduced by 1 tenth". I'd rather be reduced by 1/10th than be split into 1/4s :p
Thanks for correcting me. I was under the impression that to decimate ones army was to reduce it to 1/10 of its original size (90% reduction). But it is actually defined as killing one in ten of your enemy (or, of your own troops, if you're Roman)...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Somebody took the photo of Nick Nolte out of my post. Probably copyright infringement. I had not thought of that when I posted the pic.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It really is gone and without any trace of it being ever attached. Did you post a link of it or did you attach a copy of it in the thread?

It looks like a glitch in the system.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I posted a picture that I copied from google.
Not really a problem as far as I'm concerned.
It was just an example of a bad day for Nick Nolte, posted as a joke.
The words following explained the situation.
No reason to, "fix" it.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@ GopherT
Your observation is right.
We do NOT delete any threads, unless the thread contains spam.
We do have the rights to change posts made in the forums.
This will only be done when we see something that is not allowed or contains a copyright.
Even the spam threads are still saved in "the spam can", a hidden forum only visible to the moderators and administrators.

If you see anything that can not see the light in the forum, please report it using the report button

When the spam is reported using that button, an email is send to all moderators and administrators.
We can remove the spam using the "spam decimation button".
This will search the hole forum for threads, posts and blogs created by the spammer.
The posts will be deleted with a message like this:
"This message has been deleted by bertus. Reason: Spam killed by Spam Decimator Version 1.5"
The threads will be moved to the invisible "spam can" forum.

Bertus

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

@ GopherT
Your observation is right.
We do NOT delete any threads, unless the thread contains spam.
We do have the rights to change posts made in the forums.
This will only be done when we see something that is not allowed or contains a copyright.
Even the spam threads are still saved in "the spam can", a hidden forum only visible to the moderators and administrators.

If you see anything that can not see the light in the forum, please report it using the report button

When the spam is reported using that button, an email is send to all moderators and administrators.
We can remove the spam using the "spam decimation button".
This will search the hole forum for threads, posts and blogs created by the spammer.
The posts will be deleted with a message like this:
"This message has been deleted by bertus. Reason: Spam killed by Spam Decimator Version 1.5"
The threads will be moved to the invisible "spam can" forum.

Bertus
I was not hinting that it should not have been deleted, I was just wondering what happened to the thread. I thought something must have turned bad last night.

As for your DECIMATE button, I could really use one of those at work. Can anyone help me with that?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
...a member who was later decimated as a spammer...
Georacer, did you mean "designated as a spammer"?
designated = a label has been assigned

Decimation was not a term for punishment or attack, originally it was for taxation. People would bring their carts and mules full of produce to town for market day, and at the city gates we would "decimate" (ie take one-tenth of it) as taxation and issue them with a note with wax seal stating their load had already been decimated, and let them into the city to sell the remainder.

Obviously people didn't like that much (especially if they got decimated more than once on the way to market!), so over the years the word took on a very negative usage.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

Decimation was not a term for punishment or attack, originally it was for taxation. People would bring their carts and mules full of produce to town for market day, and at the city gates we would "decimate" (ie take one-tenth of it) as taxation and issue them with a note with wax seal stating their load had already been decimated, and let them into the city to sell the remainder.

Obviously people didn't like that much (especially if they got decimated more than once on the way to market!), so over the years the word took on a very negative usage.
RB, I liked that, so, he was decimated or in the act decimation which is the killing of every tenth person.

All for disseminating information, this is the new age of information.

Shall we deal with it or Moderate it or is there a better way?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009

This gave me a good laugh. The meaning of decimation that I knew was this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_(Roman_army)), only I wasn't aware that it was a Roman thing.
Nowadays in Greece, we use it metaphorically to express that a groups has suffered great losses, even if these are greater than 10%.

But I didn't choose the verb wrongly. Below a post, I see a "Spam" button, which, when clicked, leads to an options screen about the account deletion options. The final button on this screen reads "Decimate", hence my expression.