ITT Technical Institute

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Only if you get a real degree afterward. You could, however, get a job similar to an RCDD, or work in IT. Or you could do construction work, if you take their drafting degree program.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Good engineering jobs in this country are vanishing rapidly as companies downsize and outsource. It seems that it is Dubai, Mumbai, Shanghai or goodbye.

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
Only if you get a real degree afterward. You could, however, get a job similar to an RCDD, or work in IT. Or you could do construction work, if you take their drafting degree program.
Is the ITT BSEE that worthless? I had considered DeVry, mostly because I have met a lot of Motorola people who went thru a DeVry program... but don't know anything about ITT.

I am seriously asking ... don't want to make the $50,000 mistake. (Besides, as was said before: where are you going to work - most such jobs have left the USA.)

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Is the ITT BSEE that worthless?
The ITT BSEE is nota BSEE. You can get a BS from them in Construction Management, in Data Security, or in Network Communications. You can then become a construction worker, and IT person, or something akin to an RCDD. Whether those are worth $50,000.oo or not will vary by individual.

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I went thru the class lists and found the math was almost what I expected, but I could not find any physics classes. The circuit analysis and other electronics classes read like what I took for my ASEET.

I notice they call it "Electronics and Communications Engineering Technology". Which again, to me anyway, implies it's a "technical look at engineering" like in (again) my ASEET.

Oh, sure, my associate's was worth getting (with Georgia's HOPE paying over 90% of the costs!) - and I have profited by the math I took - but I still want to take Calculus and Differential Equations as well as Physics... IOW, I should have pursued a BSEE. But many of the classes at DeVry or Georgia Tech are not offered at night - and I work during the day.

I ordered a brochure from ITT anyway. Can't say I'v ever met an engineer who came from ITT. I have met one who came from DeVry, and several who came from actual universities...

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
From the ITT literature:
The Electronics and Communications Engineering Technology program of study at ITT Technical Institute emphasizes technical skills that can be used to help design, develop, install, test and maintain communications systems. Graduates of this program may begin to pursue career opportunities in a variety of entry-level positions, such as electronics engineering technologist, electronics engineering assistant, engineering sales/service representative, computer systems technologist, technical consultant, telecommunications technician, communication systems installer, field service representative, engineering technician or research technician. Among the types of work environments that may use the services of graduates with these skills include, among others, data and telecommunications service providers, TV and satellite services organizations, computer network sales and services organizations, electronic systems R&D facilities and entertainment industries.
I am currently classed as a "telecommunications technician." I have worked as a "field service representative," and a "communication systems installer." I've been "installing, testing, and maintaining communications system" on and off for a dozen years.

I have no degree. (Oh, I could probably garner a handfull of AS & AA papers if I were to do the legwork, but why bother?)

You could pay $50K to be like me. Or you could get paid to be like me, like I did. (US Navy training and IBEW apprenticeship.) Or you could go to a real school and be a lot better than me.

Your life, of course - your decision. I wish you happiness and success no matter what you pursue!;)

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
No thanks. Already there! My story is similar to yours:

I'v been doing component-level troubleshooting in RF (radio) equipment since 1980. I hold an FCC General Class License (it was required back in the 80's) and an industry certification (CETsr - it is required now by some employers) for the past three years.

I went back for my ASEET three years ago and will graduate this summer. Did this mostly to pick up the math I was missing AND because I found a few jobs that required the ASEET.

HOPE paid most of the costs. I've done well in school and would like to go complete a REAL BSEE (at age 48!) But, there is no school with such a program within easy commuting distance and the labs I need are not offered evenings anyway. I may just stay in school for another associate's in networking/Windows server/etc. My field (like so many others) is a mix of what I"v done for 28 years and IT/Networking/SQL Servers.