It Is Safe To Live Near 70kv AC Three Phase Double Line Power Cable ?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Just don’t coil any wire. It could pick up dangerous voltage!

Seriously, if you are worried about EM radiation, don’t. The body is much too small to interact with EM waves at that frequency.

I would be most worried about the lines falling on the house.

Bob

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""Just don’t coil any wire.""
The Worldwide elaborated in legal systems normative act is ICNIRP-2010. Just read it through. Many lands state that the standard must be roughly 10x stricter, but none had said it may be laid more free. Thus, let measure the E and B components and You shall see how safe it is. From my experience about measing fields around such lines, the 100 to 200 meters aside is relatively safe, if the open line. If the cable line, enough is with some 20-30-50 meters away. If it is just the innocent home grid wire in the wall, the safety distance to the head or bones (while sleeping) is about 5...10 cm. https://www.icnirp.org/cms/upload/publications/ICNIRPLFgdl.pdf

Last edited:

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
What is your definition of safe ?

Personally I'd rather not live there,
picking up of radio is probably going to problematic, and I like radio.

All life has a risk,
My grandma, who had electricity in the 18th century, kept a plug in all the 4 sockets in the house, to stop the electricity flow out even in to the 1960's when I knew her. To her the risk of an electric flood was real.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015

All life has a risk,
My grandma, who had electricity in the 18th century, kept a plug in all the 4 sockets in the house, to stop the electricity flow out even in to the 1960's when I knew her. To her the risk of an electric flood was real.
Surely you meant 19th century?!

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
What is safe.... Good question. Sure, any short-term exposure to EM fields is safe except the boldly extreme conditions. Sure, that long exposures have far stricter demands as longer it stays around You, thus the sleep what people use to do about 50% of their life must happen at low EM fields conditions. I gave the link to legally most stable grand, ICNIRP (ICNIRP-2010 for low frequencies fields, ICNIRP-2020 for RF fields, ICNIRP-98 for older version). Yet exists other more modern guidelines version after professor Busby, what states the frequency must be encounted in the manner - if twice the frequency, then sqrt(2) more stricter the normative. Its going straight contra the ICNIRP stating as higher frequency, the more relaxed is normative. However nowing well the most of the organic macromolecules have resonant frequencies vibrational component and rotational component near or into the 5G range, I feel the Busby idea about this may be better based than ICNIRP, probably. Secondly, he writes, the total exposition hours must be encounted, thus the effective dose must be calculated withstricter safety factors 2 to 4 for fast growing persons like children. Hope his version of normative will be easy to find in the network, it stays hanged in his organization homepage as asking states and governments to add to, but of core the telecommunication business is harshly against any stricter normative, and, if possible, against ANY normative :)

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""House to power pole is 3 meters, house roof to wire is 6 meters""
Very much suspect, You are wrong. The safety distance to near 100 kV is far larger, but measure data will overstep the Statewide Human Health Guidelines even at more distance.
I may refer only to two ocassions where I measured fields near the power grid. One was 110 kV 50 Hz magistral line Poland - Finland going about 50 meters aside one residential house having blood cancer ill baby. They want an expertize for court. At their home I using three different instruments got about 10x overstepped magnetic field component and 4x overstepped static field component.
Next case was at another court case where hydroelectrostation magistral cable about half-meter thick was digged straight below the 5-floor residential house in about meter below the ground floor flooring. In the distance 4 meter above Was found the 50x magnetic and 5x electric fields overstepping of State Normative.
Last case was a three houses about 20 meters afar of mobile tower serviceing a 50 000 inhab village. All three houses had one to two cancer patients, thus they made a legal case against company, where I found that E component and H component is overstepped some rooms 2x only, but some rooms 2000x with pach-like structure what is possible if plentitude of side-lobes radiates downward. The Power normative (ICNIRP 1998/2010) what should stand between 2 and 10 W/m2 there was about 100. Sorry, but all inhabitants was not able to wait a legal case result, as they died far beforhand. Now in their house lives next lucky inhabitants, from which two already again have developed a brain cancer. Telecommunicators have changed until now just nothing.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""I would be most worried about the lines falling on the house.""
I remember too well the times when Radio Riga at MW 565 kHz was going on with full 550 kW power and I was much younger and had no any field measure instruments. With a sledges I went the wood massive where the some houses was connected with Grand Coaxial Cable. This monster-coaxial was made of central wire and some 6 or 12 parallel wires parallel in strict distance adjusted by porcelain insulators, whole diameter of whole cable about 20 meters, length was 3 km. Around the line all trees was cut, and grass cleaned up to the clean soil. When I came close it, I felt like an electrization. Thus I took the plant leaf from place what is more far from line, and at that place where I staid that leaf begin to speak in radio-dictor voice. I came even more near so the leaf begun to cook until naturally boiled still singing those music what was transmitter in this lossy line. So I became bit afraid and went away. Today this all complex is dismantled and abandoned. Its enough with dozen of 100 W FM stations.

So, I bet the SHORT even excessive radiation is just the water for the duck, but if anything happens EVERY night where You sleep, You have no much time left for nice living.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
All of this silliness was kicked off in the early 1990's when somebody noticed a tiny correlation between homes close to high voltage power lines and cancer cases. Correlation is not causation and nobody has shown me that non-ionizing radiation is harmful (except one study that showed that chickens raised in a very high voltage gradient lost weight, but upon closer look they were getting shocked when they went to get a drink of water or even walked around the cage for that matter).

I would prefer to not buy a house in such a location. Right now 220V 50 Hz from the wiring in the walls is sometimes a nuisance when taking measurements. Imagine what thousands of volts per meter would do on my workbench.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

All life has a risk,
The Constitution was ratified near the end of the 18th century. That would be one seriously old grandma. My hat is off to her.

bootloader9800

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Just don’t coil any wire. It could pick up dangerous voltage!

Seriously, if you are worried about EM radiation, don’t. The body is much too small to interact with EM waves at that frequency.

I would be most worried about the lines falling on the house.

Bob

60 Hz frequency has a wavelength of 4996540.96666667 meters.
Can you please explain what you mean by, "The body is much too small to interact with EM waves at that frequency." ?
How big should the body be to have an effect on it?
Thank you

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
The Constitution was ratified near the end of the 18th century. That would be one seriously old grandma. My hat is off to her.
Apparantanty Gma got electricity in the house in the 1890's or so she always used to say when I knew her in her late 80's around 1968.

I can looking back now see that might have been less than the truth, seeing as Swan only patented the bulb in 1890.

Certainly , I can remember the individual fuses they had, two for each socket,
large wooden and ceramic things,

All open , you could see the fuse wire on the surface of the porcelain,

I remember it was also stated as DC on the fuses, though the house was by the 60's AC mains,

bless her, she was a diamond, I'd never have doubted anything she said.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
can I suggest that the title of this thread seems a misnomer,

the question that keeps getting asked in this tread is more
"what voltage field is safe to live in ?"

Which is rather different
all one can do is either post the relevant standards in your area, or express an opinion,

As this is in the power electronics forum, no the general chat ,
I'm wondering is this in the wrong forum ?