It is hard to say

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
hi guys,
do you know? I can read and write basic english,but its hard to speak out,
or even I can speak some, its hard to understand when your talking.
we learn english from book,and take exam in paper,so today I cant speak and listen well.
confused:(

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Hello, Fiona Temporarily!

I have been speaking english my whole life and reading it for 2 years.. I had the backwards problem. ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
sheeeeeesh..she says English is complex

When I see Chinese text character I go berserk :eek:....How do any one understands that or write for that matter.

But I had 2 say when I see a Chinese gal I go "BOING".
Man I luv Chinese gals

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
Hi happyganl, learning a language is a complex process. Untill you will need to translate from English into your language it will be difficult for you to understand speeching persons, due to the time involved in the translation, you loose words and sentences. The only working thing is real world exercise.

Don't worry keep trying and you will win!

Cheers

Alberto
I am planning to see more english films:p

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Fiona,

You are not alone. Everyone who has tried to learn a foreign language has faced the same hurdles.

My advice is to find a patient person who speaks English (preferably an American ;) ) who will work with you. Many Americans used to go to foreign universities for post-doctoral training mainly to learn the language. Unfortunately, the people at those universities wanted to learn English.

From what I have seen of your writing ability, you just need practice in the speech part.

John

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
From what I have seen of your writing ability, you just need practice in the speech part.
Yes, I agree.

My nephew went to an english-teaching school in Norway. The result was not only good grades, because he had to pay attention, but also nearly perfect english. He is now in the Air Force, and have just finished a tour in Canada, learning helicopter/flight navigation. So now he spends daytime flying up and down the coast of Norway, watching our territory.

It's nice to read happy's writing. Sometimes I catch myself analyzing the poems... :)

Like this single post:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=44685

So deep....

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Americans that speak "English" also have the problem of sometimes not understanding English(UK) and Australians that also speak "English"!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
hi guys,
do you know? I can read and write basic english,but its hard to speak out,
or even I can speak some, its hard to understand when your talking.
we learn english from book,and take exam in paper,so today I cant speak and listen well.
confused:(
Give us your address so we can start sending you DVD movies to watch. Most chinese people learn english through TV shows like Desperate Housewives, and Simpsons. That part of the reason so many people think were such jack asses. They watch US TV to learn english and think were really like the people in Friends, Cops, and Jerry Springer.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Americans that speak "English" also have the problem of sometimes not understanding English(UK) and Australians that also speak "English"!
Actually americans speak old school UK english. The UK changed their prenounciation around 1600 - 1700. Whats funny is back in the day shakespear talked like a new yorker. :)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Fiona Tempor....I mean FIONA! How are you!

So, the English language is a stumbling block for all of us.

Most Americans cant even speak English, so you are not far behind.

Actually you are ahead, because most Americans dont care to learn how to speak the language properly. You have the urge to learn, that puts you ahead of the rest!

Not just immigrants, but natural born citizens slaughter the language. Now many speak like they text message.

ACK!

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
Give us your address so we can start sending you DVD movies to watch. Most chinese people learn english through TV shows like Desperate Housewives, and Simpsons. That part of the reason so many people think were such jack asses. They watch US TV to learn english and think were really like the people in Friends, Cops, and Jerry Springer.
Friends is th only play I watched from the beginning

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Exactly. They did a vanguard documentry about chinese factory workers all learning english and they all said they learned it by watching "Friends". The interviewer laughed and said thats not a very accurate interpretation of American life. All the chinese girls asked "Well what would be a good show to watch to learn about America" The interviewer laughed, paused, and said "Probably "Married with Children"."