It has un-happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The charges against the science student were dropped.

Here

The original thread, "it has happened" was locked.

I just wanted to send the update and NOT restart the donnybrook of the last thread.

Here

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Considering the times and recent events, she's lucky if the school ever allows her back in. That was an incredibly stupid thing to do. I'm sure she thought it was clever and confrontational, and I am sure she was hoping for a big reaction. She got one. There is no cure for stupid.

Toilet cleaners are extremely dangerous and say so on the label. Mixed with other cleaning products, they can release lethal chlorine gas. Used in a "small explosion", the release could have sprayed people and burned their skin or blinded them.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Stupid is, but popping a plastic bottle which has been moved a safe distance from any spectators is not felony level, "discharging a dangerous weapon".

I did so much worse than that 45 years ago, and I still haven't turned into a terrorist that needs a felony conviction. I made the equivalent of cherry bombs and small rockets. I made mistakes which were very noisy. I slammed a whole roll of "caps" with a concrete block. I thought my ears were going to bleed! And I still don't think any of that was a felony.

Want an example of stupid? Ruining a child's future with a, "Zero Tolerance" attitude, recently referred to as the, "school to prison pipeline". If this was applied to everybody, all the time, most of us would be doing 99 years without chance of parole, just on the number of stop signs we didn't exactly stop at.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Apples and oranges trying to excuse current behavior by comparing what we did 50 years ago. 50 years ago you could walk up to a stewardess and say "I'm taking this plane to Cuba!" and they would laugh. Now you would get a SIG 226 stuck in your ear and a set of handcuffs and FEDERAL FELONY CHARGES.

Anybody who would make an explosive device and take it to school in today's world is flipping clueless.

It's obvious there is no "school to prison pipeline" as this person was not sent to prison. Consideration was given for agea and obvious cluelessness. I have sympathy for stupid application of rules like when a kid got expelled because his mom put a knife in his lunchbox to cut the piece of chicken with or a girl got expelled for giving her friend a Tylenol. But bringing an exploding device to a school just defies common sense and makes me wonder if she has a working brain.

Wilmot performed her experiment behind the school cafeteria. There were some kids in the vicinity.
Yeah, what could have gone wrong there?

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's obvious there is no "school to prison pipeline" as this person was not sent to prison.

But bringing an exploding device to a school just defies common sense and makes me wonder if she has a working brain.
PBS, the ACLU, Wikipedia, and others disagree with you.
In addition, you should read the information available instead of guessing that she brought the completed experiment from somewhere else. She brought the ingredients and combined them at at school.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/tsr/education-under-arrest/school-to-prison-pipeline-fact-sheet/

http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/school-prison-pipeline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School-to-prison_pipeline

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
... But bringing an exploding device to a school just defies common sense and makes me wonder if she has a working brain.

(re other kids inthe area);
Yeah, what could have gone wrong there?
The problem is not one person letting off some steam or having some fun or even doing something a bit stupid.

The REAL problem is how uptight people (especially people in power) have become.

What society really needs is another Hippie revival like the 60's where people can get more laid back and leave all the uptight overly-oppressive BS behind. Smoke some joints and pop some LSD and say "Terrorists? who gives a ****!".

Every schoolteacher knows if you pay attention to the bad kid in class, and change all the rules because of the bad kid's actions, it gives the bad kid heaps of power to affect and upset everyobody.

Why are governments too stupid to know the same thing? :(

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
PBS, the ACLU, Wikipedia, and others disagree with you.
Whatever. Completely hijacked the thread which is how absolutely idiotic somebody would have to be to make some kind of explosive device and take it to school, especially in the wake of the Boston bombings. Some people really are clueless and if I was running that school, she would have gotten suspended. But let's make this all about the unfair social system conspiring to pipe minority and poor people into prison and avoid the truth which is that when students do something idiotic and dangerous at school they should get punished, regardless of their race or daddy's income status.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The REAL problem is how uptight people (especially people in power) have become.

What society really needs is another Hippie revival like the 60's where people can get more laid back and leave all the uptight overly-oppressive BS behind. Smoke some joints and pop some LSD and say "Terrorists? who gives a ****!".
Absolutely. And I'm sure if the device had spewed in a different direction and blinded kids with toxic chemicals, their parents would have no problem if everybody just said:

"Chill, man.... fire up a doobie and relax. Don't harsh my buzz just because your kid will need a seeing eye dog for the rest of his life. Keep it mellow, dude."

That's sure what we need. We wouldn't want anybody to actually take responsibility for their actions.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
We need to keep in mind that what was intended to happen, what did happen, and what could have happened are three different things and are three different factors in deciding a rational response. Taking a stance that is solely based on one of them and doesn't consider the other two is neither rational nor realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.