Issues programming PIC16F870 using ICD2

Thriller

Joined Feb 27, 2009
I am trying to program the chip and when I try to program it using a MPLAB ICD2 the ICDWarn0052 appears. This warning states that it cannot validate a target device. All the connections have been properly made from the programmer to the protoboard. The chip is receiving a +5V input in the proper Vdd pin. The protoboard, programmer, wires, and connection cord have all been changed and still this warning pops up. The right chip has also been set in the program project. Do you have any ideas of what the issue could possible be? Thank you! (HELP NEEDED...FOR SENIOR DESIGN PROJECT AND TIME IS LIMITED!!!!)

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Have you correctly set the power source in the IDC2 set-up panel? I have a clone IDC2 and it needs the power source to be cycled (internal/external) in the set-up panel before it recognizes the chip.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
If you have the ICD2 set for "USB Powered", it MUST be in a powered hub (wall wart extra power jack), not a standard USB hub, since it draws over 500mA.

If you don't have a powered hub, power the jack on the ICD2 with the adapter supplied, and configure it for "ICD has power".