ISO: Guitar-Synth DIY Project Help.

knel8025

Joined Nov 1, 2012
Hello and thank you to all who take the time to read this.

So, I'm building a "Guitar-Synthesizer" project from the terrific website Music From Outer Space. About a month ago I initially "completed" the project but it did not work properly. I had power at all the IC chips but one in particular (U6) was VERY hot. I've had two stages in the process of testing that I feel should be mentioned. First when testing one time, I had hooked up the -12V lead from my bench top power supply, but I accidentally had the +12 and GND leads in each others' terminals :eek: Next, about a week ago, I discovered that I had installed a diode backwards (yes, it was between U6 and U7), and I felt both a a bit of relief and pretty stupid at the same time. After properly orienting the diode and replacing U6 I was able to get an audible signal, and the one chip was no longer hotter than the others. Today, I replaced the rest of the IC chips, plugged it in, and it wasn't any different. Now I'm just at a loss, one thing I'm wondering is if hooking up the supply wrong could damage transistors, bi-polar caps, etc.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks again.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The diode you mention is between U7-B and U9-B.(and not U6 as you say).
If the diode is turned around and the reset signal is high, the output of U9-B can not go low anymore.
This might stress the U9-B and make it hot.

Bertus