Is Wildfire run on diesel / gasoline?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am re-watching the first season of The Walking Dead. I am currently watching the episode where they walk into Wildfire (CDC) in Atlanta.

In this episode, the system is shutting down because the UPS is out of diesel / gasoline.

Does anyone know anything about the power systems at a place like Wildfire? I would think such a place would be important enough to have it's own nuke.

In an end of the world situation, wouldn't you want the CDC to be up and running basically forever?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Large facilities tend to either use diesel or natural gas fueled gensets for backup power and super critical facilities should have a multi level backup system in plan such as a combination of both types of systems on top of a substantial battery based short term UPS type electrical system.

I have never heard of the show. Is it a reality show or fictional? :confused:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Large facilities tend to either use diesel or natural gas fueled gensets for backup power and super critical facilities should have a multi level backup system in plan such as a combination of both types of systems on top of a substantial battery based short term UPS type electrical system.

You have never hear of The Walking Dead?

http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead

How is that possible? It is one of the biggest hits ever. Even if you don't watch TV, you would be bound to hear others talking about it.

You are kidding right? ;)

Yes I am well aware of backup systems in large facilities. I used to work in the building automation industry and I have been in almost every corner of the physical plant in a number for buildings and campuses.

I would just think that something like the CDC would have a nuke power plant. Or at the very least enormous fuel storage under the building. I would think that if all hell breaks lose you would want something like the CDC up and running for years after the community infrastructure has gone away.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Clueless on the CDC power requirements but 'Wildfire' was also the name of the lab in the 'Andromeda Strain' , they had a nuke but it was there is decontaminate the lab.

I did have a little experience with Nerve Gas operations. The stuff was a horror, this film is PG-13 compared to the stuff we had to watch during training.

Warning!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjA0EQPeUGM

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Clueless on the CDC power requirements but 'Wildfire' was also the name of the lab in the 'Andromeda Strain' , they had a nuke but it was there is decontaminate the lab.

I did have a little experience with Nerve Gas operations. The stuff was a horror, this film is PG-13 compared to the stuff we had to watch during training.

Warning!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjA0EQPeUGM
Maybe that is where I got that. I always thought that was the nickname for the CDC in Atlanta. It is the name of the episode. I figured that is were they got it. Kind of dangerous when we get our information from TV.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
When dealing with nuclear energy, you have to get past the NIMBYs. (Not In My BackYard)

Depending on the installation and the importance of the facility, it will have some form of backup power.

I can tell you my last Loran station had two 300kW diesel generators as backup power. One could handle the load, so there was redundant backup in case of a primary power failure.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

Set aside some weekends to binge watch the walking dead series, and you will soon be up to speed:p