Is use of inrush current limiters recommended in audio PSU?

iinself

Joined Jan 18, 2013
Hi,
is the use of inrush current limiter like SL32 1R030 recommended for a audio power supply unit? I have a center tap transformer with secondary voltages of 33V and a current capacity of 2A. It will charge 2 X 10000uf capacitors to about +/- 45V via a bridge rectifier. I have been reading that the initial current can be quiet large and it may damage the components, hence was pondering on using an of the shelf inrush current limiter, I believe these are just thermistors. Will this help?

Thanks

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I have used the SL line of inrush limiters to reduce the turn on surge current on some off line battery chargers. They work. I have been putting insulation around them to reduce loss. Go for it. They are cheap.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Hi,
is the use of inrush current limiter like SL32 1R030 recommended for a audio power supply unit? I have a center tap transformer with secondary voltages of 33V and a current capacity of 2A. It will charge 2 X 10000uf capacitors to about +/- 45V via a bridge rectifier. I have been reading that the initial current can be quiet large and it may damage the components, hence was pondering on using an of the shelf inrush current limiter, I believe these are just thermistors. Will this help?

Thanks
All depends on your transformer and bridge rectifier.
My guess is with a 2 amp transformer none is needed.
You can always measure the resistance of the secondary and check the diode data sheet for surge current.

iinself

Joined Jan 18, 2013
All depends on your transformer and bridge rectifier.
My guess is with a 2 amp transformer none is needed.
You can always measure the resistance of the secondary and check the diode data sheet for surge current.
Yes, I finally went with none. Thanks.