is tinned copper ok for audio circuits

mwmorgan

Joined May 5, 2013
Hello everybody. Ive searched this question and get many that say its ok and some that say it is not good to use for audio circuits.My understanding is the skin effect is what most people are thinking of,but that is only a concern in high frequency.Audio is low frequency.What other reasons may be of concern? I have a lot of it and love to use it since its easy to solder,holds its shape when routing,and over time does not oxidize. Just looking for more opinions. Also, what would be the highest usable frequency if you were to use it in RF circuits?Im talking interconnects and such, not winding high Q coils or anything.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I've never heard of this concern before. Go ahead and use tinned copper. It's the only thing I have ever used for making circuit connections.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There are some audiofools around that claim you need "low-oxygen" copper or other gimmicks to get "perfect" sound. Unfortunately, there is no reasonable scientific merit behind the gimmick claims.

Use the tinned copper you have. That is, use the same tinned copper that every high-quality audio equipment manufacturers currently uses and has used for the past 40 to 80 years. Don't waste your money on gimmicks. don't waste your time trying to prove or disprove the gimmicks. If anything truely revolutionary is available, then it will be in a device at the consumer electronics show and widely available. It will not be sold as an eBay-only device, it will not be an exclusive circuit diagram of some internet forum, it will be in a commercial product that is widely publicized. Good ideas are economically viable ideas and will be widely sold in the marketplace, not hidden and exclusive through odd channels.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hello everybody. Ive searched this question and get many that say its ok and some that say it is not good to use for audio circuits.My understanding is the skin effect is what most people are thinking of,but that is only a concern in high frequency.Audio is low frequency.What other reasons may be of concern? I have a lot of it and love to use it since its easy to solder,holds its shape when routing,and over time does not oxidize. Just looking for more opinions. Also, what would be the highest usable frequency if you were to use it in RF circuits?Im talking interconnects and such, not winding high Q coils or anything.
It will work fine, don't worry about it.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I have seen ads for "special" power cables to connect your audio system to the wall power that cost hundreds of dollars and which are supposed to magically improve the sound of your system. There's no limit to the crazy bogus stuff these audionuts will pay huge sums for just for that imaginary improvement in sound. :rolleyes:

patricktoday

Joined Feb 12, 2013
Absolutely not! Do not do it. It will transform the most carefully crafted, high-fidelity audio circuitry into utter garbage that would make a cheap 1970's AM clock radio sound like a dream in comparison.

Just kidding :p

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Absolutely not! Do not do it. It will transform the most carefully crafted, high-fidelity audio circuitry into utter garbage that would make a cheap 1970's AM clock radio sound like a dream in comparison.

Just kidding :p
I use only gold plated copper also on the components legs. And the copper is of course 100% oxygen free.:D

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Also, what would be the highest usable frequency if you were to use it in RF circuits?Im talking interconnects and such, not winding high Q coils or anything.
The highest usable frequency is mostly determined by wire length, not size or type. Unless it's a transmission line, a wire connection should be no longer than about 1/10th of the highest frequency wavelength.

Sue_AF6LJ

Joined Mar 16, 2013
OH GOD
this audiophool crap has spread here too???

By the way, I had to buy an HDMI cable for this monitor, since I know better I got the cheapest cable I could find from Radio Shack.
The cable works fine, both computer and monitor are happy.
Before I installed I was for no particular reason reading the small writing on the cable. Yes indeed it did say in small white letters
"Oxygen Free Copper"

This country is going to hell in a handcart.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The highest usable frequency is mostly determined by wire length, not size or type. Unless it's a transmission line, a wire connection should be no longer than about 1/10th of the highest frequency wavelength.
My old engineer buddy got fleeced into buying the braided cable sets for his speaker wires. And he was a EE, so he had no excuse for being so stupid. I think audiophiles just have to buy something every few months.

mwmorgan

Joined May 5, 2013
OK , OK sorry to offend or hit a nerve Sue. No more questions. Im not a "tech" so this is the wrong site for me.If I were, I wouldnt have a reason to ask.Except maybe the professor who is even more arrogant than the tech. Take care.