Is this solder?

jjtjp

Joined Mar 3, 2014
I don't think the details are pertinent so I'll just get to it. I applied too much voltage to a diode bridge which I didn't build that was intended to withstand high heat. I am trying to replace the bridge and I realized my digital soldering iron won't melt the stuff at 850 *F. I know I can just clip it but I would like to remove all that build up, if possible. What could they have used and should I re-attach my diodes with the the same? Thanks.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Try applying a little flux. If you don't have flux, apply a bit of new solder to get things started. Has worked for me in the past.

jjtjp

Joined Mar 3, 2014
Thanks. I guess I posted too soon. Using a little solder on the tip with the temp all the way up did the trick. I was kind of wondering about a high temp solder though because every other electrical connection in the thing is crimp or rivet. Thanks again. What a great first post experience :)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Especially since they are soldered onto a small DC motor!

Maybe the diodes were killed by excessive current, those DC motors can draw 10A or more under conditions like stall and startup.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have some doubt that they died of over-current. They often fracture when that happens, and those look perfect from the outside.

jjtjp

Joined Mar 3, 2014
Okay I guess more details are in order...

The circuit originally took 110V from the wall and went through some heaters (dropping the voltage) before ending up at the rectifier bridge. I took those resistances out of the circuit and use 24 V from a transformer to power the motor. I accidentally applied the wall power across the circuit for just a instance (long enough to trip the breaker) so I guess that the amperage was in fact exceeded. The diodes have all lost their forward bias. I still applied too much voltage for the given circuit though, so that is why I made that statement. I guess I should be more careful in my wording.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Now it makes sense. The diodes don't fracture in the time it takes a breaker to trip on a hard fault.

Try maxing out the load rheostat on an analog power supply that doesn't have current protection and you will see diodes fracture. I love the crackle of exploding thermoplastic in the morning. :D

Last edited: