Is this reason enough?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I came across this article today:

LEAKED: German Government Warns Key Entities Not To Use Windows 8.

You all know I am not a fan of Windows, and that I am an avid user of Linux. But is news like this, along with the recent revelations of NSA's capability of intercepting and storing essentially all network traffic, enough to make you start thinking that maybe there is a better way?

It's one thing that they can read your email without your knowledge (regardless if you have anything to hide), but the ability to control your computer, unbeknownst to you?

While I'm at it, a favorite site of mine, Groklaw, which I had frequently visited since 2003, has shut itself down for precisely these reasons. The site will be missed, but I understand PJ's explanation and commiserate with her.

I'm interested to hear comments, but let's try to keep this non-political so as not to get the thread closed.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
There are other people / companies that could develop operating systems. Microsoft shouldn't think they are to big to fail. Once users/institutions in other countries got fed up they will try to look for alternatives.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As with many technological advances, it is not always the best product technically that floats to the top (remember BetaMax).?
I remember working with more than a couple of operating systems that were much superior to MS-DOS, but with the advent of the first windows program and big business entering the picture with all the program software developed expressly for it, everyone ran with it unfortunately.
Max.